1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ale1981, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ale1981

ale1981 Thread Starter

Ok, I will try my best to explain in detail what is driving me nuts!

At work we have a Windows 2003 server (DHCP, DNS, File Server etc), 1 Windows 2000 Pro workstation and 4 Windows XP Pro workstations. All are connected via 2 old 8 port switches.

The problem is, every now and again the network freezes. It is usually the reception computer (running Windows XP Pro) that freezes first (75% of the time after opening or closing a word document) then this causes the rest of the workstations to freeze. When they freeze you cant access any of the network resources at all and explorer just hangs for about 5 mins then all is fine again.

I checked the Event Viewer on the server and nothing out of the norm in there but on a few of the workstations there are lots of MrxSmb errors. They are not just in there when the freeze occurs but pretty often. This is the MrxSmb error;

The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - Just run 'net stats server' on the server and there are 150 permission violations and i noticed there are 12 timed-out sessions and 72 errored-out sessions.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

3. blin

blin

assuming you receive Event ID 3034, this may help. quoted from www.howtonetworking.com.
    Event ID - 3034
    Cause: This update helps resolve an issue on computers running Windows XP Service Pack 2. Programs that connect to IP addresses in the loopback address range may not work as expected and you may receive an error message indicating you cannot establish a connection.
    Resolution: download WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

5. ale1981

ale1981 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help so far. Unfortunately the error code is 3019.
    I found those Microsoft articles above but they said it was only information and to ignore it. But I am sure it has something to do with them freezing.

Any other ideas?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

7. ale1981

ale1981 Thread Starter

Hi Bob,

Yeah I have checked that post. It doesnt actually have a solution.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

But it does point to some possible ones.

"This message can occur when NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) attempts to query the target device (in this case, the Loopback adapter) for network speed. The Loopback adapter, which does not handle speed negotiation, cannot negotiate the speed and the warning message is reported in the system event log"

So what happens if you manually set the network adapter's speed to match whatever you have for your hub/switch.

9. blin

blin

the download WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe should fix the 3019 too., please post back with the result.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

11. ale1981

ale1981 Thread Starter

Shall I update all the windows xp machines?

All the network cards I have manually set to 100mb Full. The switches dont have any settings that I can change, they are auto sensing only.

12. blin

blin

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You might one to try one and see what happens.

14. blin

blin

I would install it on the problem machine only.

15. ale1981

ale1981 Thread Starter

Right, I have installed it on the reception machine and cleared the Event Log, lets see what happens!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice