1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Loluchka, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Loluchka

Loluchka Thread Starter

Hi, this is probably a simple problem, but i don't know what else to do.

i just moved to a new apartment with 2 computers. i'm trying to connect both through a hub to our newly installed optimum connection. only 1 is able, the other says "limited or no connectivity"

one is a dell desktop using windows xp sp1 with Intel(R) PRO/100 M Network Connection, and the other is an hp laptop using windows xp sp2 Realtek RTL8139C + Fast Ethernet NIC. we're using an intel inbusiness 5-port HUB. only the dell is able to connect. the hp is unable to assign a network address.

i've tried powering down everything and restarting everything.
    i've tried manually entering an IP address.
    i've tried switching cables.
    i've tried connecting directly into the modem with just the hp.
    i've tried disabling my firewall.
    i've tried uninstalling the ethernet NIC and restarting.
    nothing seems to work. i have extremely limited experience with networking (i've only set up my own computers and it's always worked).
    can anyone give me any tips???

thanks.

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Problem is that you are using a hub. If you have cable and have the hub hooked up to the modem and both computers connected to the hub only one will get online. You only get one IP address from the ISP unless you purchase more. You need to look into purchasing a router.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You will be able to connect both computers to the internet simultaneously with a hub if and only if your "optimum connection" ISP provides multiple connections. I think multiple connections are not possible with DSL; I have heard that a few cable companies do give multiple connections; and I know that some cable companies will provide additional connections for an additiional fee.

IMHO the best solution is to get a router.

Another option is to connect one PC to the modem, connect the second PC to the first directly (cross-over cable) or using the hub, and enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the first PC.

"i've tried connecting directly into the modem with just the hp."

You need to power cycle the modem when switching devices. If you did power cycle, then your ISP tracks the MAC address of the device connected to the modem (and you have to reregister with your ISP), or there is a problem with the HP PC.

4. Loluchka

Loluchka Thread Starter

thanks guys for your help. i found the hub lying around and figured it would work. i didn't even realize a hub and router were different pieces of equipment. i always thought the terms were interchangable.

well, i'm going to go out and get a router. hopefully i won't have to come back here looking for help again, but i doubt it. ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice