1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking - Router, Do i need something else?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rhapsody, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

OK - -
    i thought i knew exactly what to do to setup my two comp through my router and yet connection seems to have failed me on the 2nd comp. please tell me if there is something else i need to be doing other than config my router to work with the 2nd comp - of which i cannot do - cannot reach http://192.168.1.1
    i am about to throw in the towel and return the dang router and cable....... :mad:

1st comp is winXP (this one works fine)
    2nd comp is win98se (this worked in the past - off and on)
    all PING's can be done on both comp

THX,
    Rhapsody :confused:

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Need more info. So, you have a router. How many LAN ports does it have? Is it setup to be a DHCP server? Is the 2nd Computer set to be a DHCP client? Is the router running a Firewall? Are you able to browse the internet with both machines? Are there any other problems other than the 2nd computer not being able to ping 192.168.1.1? What do you mean all PINGs can be done on both machines? If this was true you wouldn't have a problem.

3. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

OK - -
    my router has 4 ports of which i have tried them all. not for sure if it is set up to be a DHCP or not - could you please inform me as to how i can check. not for sure if router is running a firewll or not - how do i check? i can browse the internet on the main comp but not the 2nd one that i an trying to set up.
    what i mean by all PING's can be done is that i can ping: SELF - GATEWAY - OTHER COMP, but i cannot get on line with the 2nd comp.

4. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

i can PING both comp at 100% success................ 4 out of 4

5. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Well, the router has to be configured. Did it come with instructions on how to configure it? You want the router to be a DHCP server. And for it to do NATing (network address translation). Likely it is by default, and the DHCP addresses being assigned are in the 192.168.1.x range. Both machines are plugged into two different LAN ports correct? We don't want one computer plugged into the other computer. Bring up a dos prompt and type 'ipconfig' for both machines. Copy the output and paste into a message here.

6. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

YES.............. that is what i have been trying to do for days on end - CONFIG the ROUTER, but with no luck. i have followed the direction that came with it but when i get to the part to open up IE and type in http"//192.168.1.1 to config the router i cannot get IE to open the page. YES both comps are plugged into two diff LAN ports.

1st comp -
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dsl-verizon.net
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101

2nd comp -

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    (C) Copyright Microsoft Corp. 1981 - 1999

0 Ethernet adapter:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101

7. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Try connecting IE to 192.168.1.101

According to both computers, the router is at 101, not 1.

8. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

THX A MILLION - that did the trick!!!

i was so busy trying to follow the instructions that came with the router that i failed to see the connection between the router address and the gateway address.

THX,
    Rhapsody

9. hewee

hewee

Password- Enter the password you assigned the router. By default, the router’s password is “admin”.

So just go to http://192.168.1.1 and type in the password admin. No need to type in a user name either.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice