1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking/shareing a printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mrhall, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrhall

mrhall Thread Starter

need help, I have 2 pc's, host pc which is a hp, a250n is running windows xp home, the second pc, compaq presaro, model 5284 is running windows 98. networked, with a linksys eatherfast cable/dsl router model befsr41, isp is verizon dsl, useing a westell, moden model 2200, printer is a hp photosmart 7350.

problem/ question, I can't get the second pc to print.
    Both pc's can go on line at the same time, I can see either pc from the other, example shared files. I did run network wizard off the host pc onto a floppy and ran it on the second. I have named both pc,s and have given the network a name. I have went in and shared the printer on the host pc and named it. When I get to the part of adding a printer to the 2nd pc I click on, useing network printer, get as far as the drop down list and this is where I am haveing problems. This list does not show a 7350 model, I have clicked on, have disc, and started running the disc and then I come to the part that says plug the printer in. Do I plug the printer in sense it is all ready being used by the host pc? Or am I doing something wrong? I tried useing a different model off of the list, I did get the printer to print, but all it was one line at the top of the page with letters and numbers, which were not on the page i tried to print out.
    Thanks in advance, mrhall

thehalls23(at)hotmail.com

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    when you get to network printer selected try typing

\\the_computer_name_the_printer_is_attached_to\the_share_name_you_gave_the_printer_on_the_computer_it_is_attached_to

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Suggest you edit out your email address, unless you get insufficient spam.

If etaf's way didn't work for you, here is another idea:

If you didn't load the 98 drivers when you shared the printer, go back to the XP machine, unshare the printer, share it again and load the 98 drivers when it asks you.

Then on the 98, find the XP's shared folders and printer(s); right click on the printer and choose 'connect.' (This definitely works on an XP machine; I'm hoping that 98 is sufficiently similar.)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've obfuscated your email address so you won't attract a lot of SPAM. :)

5. mrhall

mrhall Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
    The 2nd pc is sending things to the printer and it starts to print, but not printing out pages,, just a part of things I sent to it just for testing.
    So looks like its time to do a little tweaking here and there although I have no idea where,, lol,, these machines are smarter then I, thats for sure

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!