1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Through HPNA

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mrosehutchinson, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrosehutchinson

mrosehutchinson Thread Starter

I am "really" wanting to network my two XP computers together using HPNA.

Both computers are running Window XP home edition

1 computer has an ethernet-card
    1 computer has a standard dial-up modem

1 computer is running DSL
    1 computer is running 56K dial up

Both computers are on a DSL/HPN filter (I'll have to double check to make sure, but I believe with almost a 99% accuracy that it read dsl/hpn).

Every website I've seen has given me a general definition of HPN. But I need to know what I have to configure, what I have to purchase, and yes if possible a step-by-step guide on what to do.

Does one of the computers have to be on at all times in order for the other computer to have internet access?

If I don't want to open up the computer to install a PCI adapter could both computers run off of a HPNA USB adapter?

Is a PCI adapter just an Ethernet Card?

After I get the "hardware" setup, what software configurations would I need to do?

I have a hundred more questions but I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, like an answer. Something to guide me in the right direction.

2. 10forcash

10forcash

Never used HPN, but if you mainly want to share an internet connection, this can be done over mains wiring, have a look at http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
    it's not particularly fast (14Mb) but it is more than adequate for ICS and the occasional bit of network printing and file sharing
    Cheers,
    10forcash

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice