1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking two computer, winxp/win98?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by outmoded9, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. outmoded9

outmoded9 Thread Starter

Ok, here is what I tried, and where the problem happens.

I have an onboard network card, a SIS900. I have a Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4).

I am using the onboard card to be directly connected to the internet, from my cable modem.

The computer with windows 98 (connected to the Linksys) is turned on. My computer (with the network cards and internet) is also on, and working with the internet. I go through the " Set up a home or small office network" process I can click on from the "Network Connections" in the Control Pannel.
    - I chose: "This computer connects directly to the internet. The other computers on my network connect to the Internet through this computer."

The main problem: My computer does not "see" the Windows98 computer hooked up to the Linksys network card. I know this because when looking in the Network Connetions window I see a red X over the Linksys card picture. Also, on the back of the card the 2 lights, the light that shows a connection, and the light that shows data transfer are both off.

Is there a way to network a Windows XP Pro and a Windows 98 SE (both with full Windows Updates) to each other as a way the Windows XP computer can provide internet to the WIndows 98 SE?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes there is. I would use a router to do the job. The output from the cable modem plugs into the router's wan port and each computer then plugs into the router. You can share a connection without having both computers turned on. In addition the router will provide a hardware firewall; a much better solution than a software firewall.

As to your problem, go to device manager [in both computers] and make sure that the nic card is installed correctly. Once that is done, both computers must have a unique name and be members of the same workgroup. You also must select some files or folders to share in order to "See" one from the other.

3. Corvus

Corvus

Your best bet is to get a router and you will have both networked and each can accsess the internet

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I understand that XP has a networking wizard built in, however I have never used the wizard. I setup networks manually; so I cannot advise you on how to use the wizard or if it works well or not.

5. dai

dai

make sure the driver is installed for the nic cards
    if you have a problem installing on the 98 comp
    remove the client for for ms networks
    install the driver
    reinstall client for ms networks
    connect the modem to the xp comp with a patch cable
    but use a crossover cable between the two comps.
    then run the wizard on xp
    make the disk and run it on the 98
    but as was said earlier a router is the best way to go

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/209611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice