1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking two computers and printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sherri24, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sherri24

sherri24 Thread Starter

Hi there...

I am wondering...I have two computers set up to the same wireless internet connection. I have one running windows 2000 which is my laptop and my desktop is running Windows XP Home. What I want to know is there a way to use the same printer with both computers without them both being physically hooked up to it. I am sure you can just not sure exactly how.....Please help any info is appreciated.....

2. ezymony

ezymony

I have a home network but I have my wired computer connected to the printer you will probably have to get a wireless print server to connect both computers if you don't want to connect the printer to one of your computers.

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Purchase a print server. These devices hook up to a printer (that does not have a network card already) via the printer's USB or parallel port. They appear on the network as ordinary devices. You connect to them via an IP address on your network. From that moment on, you don't have to share the printer, and, since no computer controls the printer, no computer has to be on to use it.

In fact, any computer on your network can print to it.

I use a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server. It has two USB printers and one networked printer attached. (This print server has two USB ports, and 4 Ethernet ports.

Courtney

4. sherri24

sherri24 Thread Starter

thanks so much i will look into that

5. reezin14

reezin14

This is what I would do,unless you want to purchase a print server like ezymony suggest. You would also have to purchase a wireless card for you desktop to connect wirelessly.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since I presume the printer is connected to one of the machines, you shouldn't have to buy anything. Just share the printer on the one machine, and then use the Add New Printer wizard to add a network printer on the other machine.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!