1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking two computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rokko Ralph, Dec 21, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rokko Ralph

Rokko Ralph Thread Starter

HI,
    I'm looking for the cheapest way to network two computers. One is a 133 running windows95 and the other is an 866 running Windows ME. Both have network adapters and are in seperate rooms.
    I was thinking I could use a crossover ethernet cable. Then would I need any extra software? How would I set it up?
    Let me know if you have any ideas.

2. WhiteyFoo

WhiteyFoo

A crossover cable is the easiest, but not expandable (you can't add more computer later w/o buying more stuff). You won't need any additinal software.
    Open up the Network properties on one of the computers (Control Panel/Network). You are going to need a networking service, an networking adapter, a networking protocol and File & Printer sharing.
    If it's not already there, you will need to install Client for Microsoft Networks. Click the "Add" button, choose "Client" and "Add". In the left hand colum hilight "Microsoft" and in the right "Client for Microsoft Networks". Click "OK".
    The next thing will be the network adapter. i am goint to assume this is installed already. if not, follow the directions that came with your card.
    Now you need to install the Protocol. Again click the "Add" button in the Network Properties window. Choose "Protocol" and "Add". Choose "NetBEUI" and click "Add" (or "OK").
    You should be back at the Network Properties window. Click the "Add File and Printer Sharing" button near the bottom of the window. Make sure there is a check in both boxes in the window that pops up. Click "OK".
    Click on the secont tab (I can't remember what it is calles right now) and put a computer and domain name in the correct boxes. Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the window.
    Windows will require a restart at this point. Follow the steps above for the second computer, making sure the domain name is the same, and the compter name is different.
    Now you need to share the drive(s) and printer(s) so that the network is useable. When Windows restarts, go to My Computer, right click on the drive you want to share, and click on "Sharing". Select the "Share this Drive" radio button, specify a share name, and click "OK". Repeat this for the printers, only in the Printers folder. You can also share specific folders instead of an entire drive.
    To map a drive, go to Network Neighborhood, double click on the computer, and right click on the shared recourse you want to map and choose "Map Network Drive". Pick a letter, and next time you want to access that drive/folder, just go to My Computer, and...there it is (hopefully [​IMG] ). You can do the same for printers, but you would choose "Install". Or you can use the Add Printer Wizard to install a network printer.

I hope this helps. Email me if you need more help/troubleshooting.

**Note: The instructions above are for Win95/98, I have never used Win Mill., but I figure everything should be in roughly the same place.**

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice