1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Two computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Billiam151, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Billiam151

Billiam151 Thread Starter

I know this is a question that probably has been asked a million and 1 times but I must ask it again.

I have two computers 1 with xp sp1, and the other windows 2000 pro, they access the internet via a wireless connection using a linksys router.

I would like to be able to share or access items on each computer at times without having to get up and go to each computer.

I have tried pinging, the win 2000 computer can ping the other, but the xp computer is not able to ping the 2000 comp.

I tried using the workgroup and on both computers it shows the other but I guess I don't know what to do from there.

Thanks,

Billiam

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Ensure that both machines are on the same network and subnet mask

Ensure that your Windows 2000 machine has any firewalls installed disabled.

3. axis77

axis77

Well im assuming since there sharing a internet connection that they both have the same subnet, also maybe you should make sure that both pc's are set for "File and printer sharing" in the "My Network Places", and they are both in the same workgroup, then attempt to share a file and then go into the Network places and see whats there....

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All machines are must be in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.0.x where x is any number. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 for most small networks.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

5. Billiam151

Billiam151 Thread Starter

Ok, you are correct for the most part about the ip and subnets should be close to the same.

I try to find the other computer but it does not show up, I am able to ping the IP that I located using Ipconfig, but that computer cant ping me, something about error 65....

Also trying to "share" a printer that is hooked to the other computer I follow all the instructions but it says it cant locate it...

When it ask for the "Name" of the computer do I need to put the full name?

Lets say it says the following " joe-dell4100 " is that what I try to find?

Thanks,

Billiam

6. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Is the XP computer Home or Pro? On the 2000 machine, create a user with the same user name and password as you use to log into the XP computer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/389745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice