1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking two machines - over internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tomlangford, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomlangford

tomlangford Thread Starter

I would like to share files with my friend who lives about 1 mile away.

We both have broadband connections and are using xp home. please could you tell me how to do this.

cheers in advance
    tom.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd consider installing an FTP server on one or both machines. It'll allow you to share files, yet not get into the difficulty of getting VPN working between them.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Actually if you have XP Home, I didn't think you can have a VPN server anyway. Only the Pro Version.

4. JohnWill

You can't use Microsoft's VPN client, but there are 3rd party solutions. However, for simple file sharing, it's way too complicated for such a simple task. :)

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

6. JohnWill

Good tutorial on XP's VPN, I confess to having never used it. When I used VPN, it was a more complicated affair, seems that wouldn't be all that difficult. Of course, I don't know how well it works after the setup... :)

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It's been pretty easy to set up a VPN since NT4 as far as the server. The clients have always been fairly simple as well.

It works great once it is set up. The advantage is that you see the VPN server just like another drive on the network. If it is configured correctly, yo you can even browse to other computers on the network. This way you can work on documents immediately. You don't need to keep manually connecting a FTP client, transferring the file, working in the file and then manually transferring it back again.

8. Matrix28

Matrix28

If you share the folder it will be accessible from \\$IP\ but would obviously cause security problems so remove the guest account and give him and account of your machine. It will prompt him to login.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You should need to do any of that for a VPN connection. All remote access would only be allowed if there is the user account and password defined at both ends. In fact the user at the VPN server needs to be give explicit rights for the remote access. Not even all defined users can set this up.

The guest account should always be disabled and don't see where anything was mentioned about it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice