Networking two platforms

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brucesprings

Just got a used Apple I MAC from a friend running 8.5 . Already had a Windows XP PC that is hooked up to a cable connection with an external modem. I would like to somehow hook up the I MAC just for an extra internet computer for my kids.How do you go about doing this? I am new to all of this networking stuff and have no clue how to do any of this.The other problem being I can't run any cables between the two computers due to walls and ceiling.If anybody could please explain what equipment and other items and steps I need to take to accomplish this task would be greatly appreciated.Also I would like to spend as little as possible due to lack of funds right now.

brucesprings said:
Just got a used Apple I MAC from a friend running 8.5 . Already had a Windows XP PC that is hooked up to a cable connection with an external modem. I would like to somehow hook up the I MAC just for an extra internet computer for my kids.How do you go about doing this? I am new to all of this networking stuff and have no clue how to do any of this.The other problem being I can't run any cables between the two computers due to walls and ceiling.If anybody could please explain what equipment and other items and steps I need to take to accomplish this task would be greatly appreciated.Also I would like to spend as little as possible due to lack of funds right now.
First off, I'm not an Apple person (unless you wind back the clock a ways).

However, this appears easily accomplished. To share an internet connection on a cable modem you will need a router (~45$ if you go Linksys).

Once you purchase that, both 'PCs' (XP and IMac) can share your internet connection through the router. They would both be cabled to the router, not to each other.

Then all you would need to do is setup your IMac to connect to the router (via DHCP, usually). I am not familiar with that exact procedure but I'm sure folks in the Apple Macintosh section of this board are. We can help with the router/XP part and perhaps a mod can move this to that section if you need help with the IMac part.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online