1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Two System Without Harddisk in one system

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aravindindia, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aravindindia

aravindindia Thread Starter

Iam having two P4 systems but one system is without harddisk,
    I want to do networking with this two systems and i want to work
    in one system and my brother want to work in second system
    but at the same time using one harddisk for two systems.

This is like (harddisk sharing).

Using win 98 or win 2000 or win xp or win 2000 advance server

please help me.

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Even if you had Terminal Services running on a Win2k server, you'd have to have at least a small hard drive on the client machine to be able to have the base windows... is there a floppy or cd-based TS client out there? Maybe if you go Linux...

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

While it is technically possible to boot from the network and use a system without a hard disk, it's just not worth the trouble. Performance will be awful for one issue. With hard disks in the $50 and up range, it's just not worth the trouble trying to get this to work. :rolleyes:

4. contsi

contsi

Any reason why you have or want a hard drive in that PC?

5. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Please describe exactly what the computer without the hard drive will be used for. For example, what networking services do you need? Telnet, FTP, file sharing (for what reason), http, ,etc.?

You could run a Linux kernel in memory but what is really needed is to know what applications you need to run off that machine.

6. aravindindia

aravindindia Thread Starter

Iam using it for internet sharing and for doing web based project work and website designing in Active Server Pages(ASP)
    programming.

Please Help me To Networking without
    harddisk in second system.

using win 2000 advance server, win NT
    and Linux

This will very thank full help to me

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You still haven't given a good reason for trying to get this to work, and I'm at a loss to figure out why you'd even want to try! :confused: Please explain how this helps you do any of the tasks you've laid out for this oddball configuration?
    :rolleyes:

8. MR_BALOO

MR_BALOO

I was called for a estimate once and seen 3 pcs running windows 98 booting from the network cards loading the OS from a novell server. UGGG it was slow who wants to drag a swap file across a lan not me you would be better offf getting a small drive even if its a zip drive and then run like windows 95 and then use Terminal serices to the 2000 server box. Without the hard drive your only good option is Terminal sevices.

9. Monk_

Monk_

10. MR_BALOO

MR_BALOO

11. Monk_

Monk_

MR_BALOO, great link. Thanks.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice