1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking two Windows 2000 computers (how?)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by genericnet, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. genericnet

genericnet Thread Starter

this is my first post here, so hello everyone! :)

I have a pair of Windows 2000 Professional computers. Both have built-in ethernet. I would like to send files from one computer to the other so I can back up files. Could someone post a simple cookbook recipe on how to do that simple "two-computer" thing?

Something like this would be very helpful:
    1) First turn on the first computer. Turn off firewalls. then go to start>>settings>>. in the tab called "network xyz" type in xyz...
    2) Turn on the second computer. go to start>>settings>>xyz, set that computer to xyx
    3) connect both computers using the ethernet cable
    4) go to start>>xyz>>abc on the first computer. set the tab marked "abc" to "def".
    5) go to start>>settings contol panel>> network xyz. click on the "enable file sharing" box.

Although I'm good with other aspects of computers, I don't know any network terms at all. So please explain any terms you use like "primary network logon", "domain", "local user account", "permission" or "workgroup" if it's necessary for me to do the setup. I'm finding networking has it's own peculiar language and I know none of it.

That being said, I don't care about the "theory". For now, I just want it to work. So pretend you are trying to train a rat to go down a maze, rather than educating someone to become a computer science professor. The rat doesn't understand; he just follows a path that works.

This will be one stupid-yet-happy rat if I can get this thing to work! :D

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hello to you, genericnet. I haven't noticed too many folks here posting at the level you are asking for.

Connect a CROSS-OVER Cat5 ethernet cable between the two PCs.

On each PC go to My Network Places (or is it Network Neighborhood on W2k Pro?) and run the "setup a home or small office network" wizard, being sure to specify that you want to do file and print sharing. If you're one of the lucky ones, that's all you have to do.

You can find tutorials and how-to-do articles by searching the internet or Window's Help. And you can get help here when you run into trouble.

3. genericnet

genericnet Thread Starter

thanks for the info,
    but i guess i'm not "lucky".

1) I don't know what a cross-over cat-5 cable is. specifically is this a standard cat-5 cable, or something else i have to buy (as mentioned earlier, i am completely unfamiliar with network terms and what they mean to my situation

2) when i tried doing what you said, the Windows screens kept wanting me to connect the computers via a Com-1, Com-2 port, or an LPT-1 port. those are "old school" ports, and i believe they are slow data transfer rates. there was no option to connect via ethernet.

so it looks like i'm going to make my life easy and just buy a nice jump drive and plug and unplug that thing everywhere to backup files.

i guess it's not my time to join the network crowd. sometimes you just have to go with what you know. (y)

4. tastycheese

tastycheese

Hey there,

A crossover cat-5 cable is just what it sounds like - a normal cat-5 with two pairs of the wires inside the cable crossed over to different parts of the connector.
    If you go to a computer shop and ask for a crossover cat-5 cable, they'll know exactly what you want and provide it - it'll probably only cost five to ten pounds (or whatever your preferred currency is - suffice it to say, they aren't anywhere near as expensive as an external drive :) )

Once you've connected the two with the cable, it's pretty likely that you'll be able to run the network connection wizard without any problem, after which you'll be able to copy files over the network through the 'Network Neighbourhood' icon on the desktop - this will be as easy as dragging files from one folder to another. I do urge you to give it a try, at least!

Do bear in mind that with anything like this, you will need at least a smidgen of technical bits explained to you in order to have any chance of success, as I'm sure you realise from your other computing experience. I know I was once in precisely your position, trying to set up a LAN without any clue as to the technical details, but plenty of experience in other areas. This was a while back too, so I didn't have the luxury of the Internet to fall back on - I had to buy books and teach myself!

Edited because I'm a halfwit

5. jbirdie

jbirdie

if both ethernet jacks are used via x-over cable, then how and to what do i do to connect my cablemodem(since all ethernet slots are taken i must need to buy some expensive "box" right??? i wanted to do thius setup but google never showed how to connect 3 devices into 2. so i went out and bought a wired router and guess what...google dont have anything about how to do that either, so i am sucking the hind tit, any help about the x-over cable would be appreciated and i will throw the router away, since it cant be connected. all i want is for 2 computers to use the same connectioin, i dont care about sharing, ics, none of that stuff, i just want 2 machines to be able to access the same connection at the same time. tkz

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice