1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking WIN 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Asher75000, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Asher75000

Asher75000 Thread Starter

I just got a USB Ethernet card...hooked it up and installed all the drivers just fine...I configured everything according to my ISP specifications(Just like i did on my other two WIN XP computers, which network fine by the way...) So anyway, i restart the computer just like i did on my win xp computers, getting read to configure the router settings in me browser, but as USUAL it doesn't even KNOW that there is a connection...just like it did before I had an ethernet adapter...also, at the startup, it says that the domain host or something CANNOT validate my networking password..which on the other XP computers, I NEVER needed a password! It says I may not get some benefits of my LAN connection, which I figure is file transfer and printer sharing and such, but i guess it means I can't have a connection...but I never made a password in the first place!!! THere are no other passwords on the other computers...there is one on my router, but I should have to set that up AFTER it recognizes my connection...not before it will grant it to me...so HELP ME PLEASE IM GONNA KILL MYSELF!!! thanks...any help at all will do...it cost 35 dollars to have a phone help session with microsoft and i've followed their self help networking thing on thier webpage..so that wont help me...

2. Dingenium

Dingenium

Please, don't kill yourself...yet.

Here are a couple things that could be more helpful:
    1) the manufactuer of the USB NIC
    2) the router you are using
    3) is it Windows 98 FIRST or SECOND edition

In the meantime, check a couple things. Go into the Device Manager:

RIGHT click on the My Computer icon, go to PROPERTIES, and then click on the DEVICE MANAGER tab. Make sure that the USB NIC is showing under "Network Adapters"

Then, check to make sure the icon next to it doesn't have a SPLAT (a yellow excalation mark or a red x or something) on the it (the icon). If it does, the drivers need to be reinstalled or the NIC is not installed correctly.

IF this is ok, then go into the Windows IP Config:

START -> RUN -> and type: winipcfg

And then look in the drop down (there should be a PPP Adapter for every NIC or connecting device). Find and select the USB NIC from the list. Does it have an IP address? What does it show?

If you have all "0"'s, you might need to then check your Network and stuff in there:

START -> SETTINGS -> CONTROL PANEL

Find the NETWORK icon and double-click.

You MUST have the following three items in there:

Client for Microsoft Networks (or, at least, you should have it in there)
    USB NIC (the Manufactuer name or whatever of the USB NIC you have)
    TCP/IP -> USB NIC (You MUST have TCP/IP for the USB NIC)

If you are missing any of these, then you can try to add them.

Try these out and post again...

3. Asher75000

Asher75000 Thread Starter

Welp, thanks for you'r Help, I appreciate it....But everything is installed just fine, just like you said...and heres the other thing...my other WIN XP computers will actually recognize that my WIN 98 COMputer is on the network...my WIN 98 computer acts like NOTHING is hooked up to anything....I guess Ill just have someone some over my house and take a look. I HATE WINDOWS 98 NETWORKING!!!

4. Buzz Killer

Buzz Killer

On the 98 pc...Go to control panel/network/configuration/client for microsoft networks/properties/uncheck "log on to Windows NT domain".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice