1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking WIN98 and WIN2000

Discussion in 'Networking' started by taber1205, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taber1205

taber1205 Thread Starter

I am having difficulty networking my WIN98 and WIN2000 computers. I am able to share the internet connection but have not been able to share files. According to my instruction from lynksys, I need to have NetBeui and IPx/SPx Compatible Protocol installed. The WIN98 is setup that way, but I cannot find them when configuring the properties of the connection on the WIN2000. You should be able to install them. When I got to my local area connection, click properties, and try install the two, I get the following error: "Could not add the requested component. The error is: The specified path does not contain any applicable device INFs."

Where do I go from here?

Thanks,
    taber1205

2. taber1205

taber1205 Thread Starter

I think I may have narrowed the problem down to my firewall. I use ZoneAlarm and am trying to figure out how to add a subnet. How do I find out the IP address and subnet mask? I'll have to do this to both computers.

3. taber1205

taber1205 Thread Starter

I figure it out. I found the IP addresses listed right in front of me on the Zone Alarm page. Still, I'm not sure how I would have found them any other way. Any tips?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/235587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice