Networking windows 98 machines to windows xp pro machines

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dragonlight

I have 7 win98 machines that see each other and work well accross the network, I also have a Winxp pro machine, my xp machine works well accross the network and accesses and prints great accross the network........ But when I try to access the XP machine with a 98 machine I get a "Enter Network Password" window, with a "Resource: //CHAD/IPC$" then it asks for a password, I have run network setup wizard, and in the security section, I have everyone for full access within the network, I also have a user name that is password protected for remote desktop access. I have tried using that password, but it will not let the win98 machines access the xp machine. :confused:

One thing comes to mind....
You need user accounts setup on the XP machine that are the same as those on the Win98 machines.

Example: If you log on to a Win98 box using.....

Username: John
Password: 12345

Then you must setup a user account on the XP box for.....

Username: John
Password: 12345

Is this the only shared folder on the XP machine? IPC$ is a hidden folder (as are all folders with the $ sign) so won't show up in Network neighbourhood, etc.

Try creating some normal shares and see if you can connect to and open them without the same difficulty.

The IPC$ share is used with temporary connections between clients and servers by using named pipes for communications among network programs. It is primarily used for remote administration of network servers.

The only time I've ever seen this come up when accessing a remote machine is when the user account doesn't exist on it and it's an NT based machine(NT, 2000, XP).

dragonlight

I cleared all the shares, and reset the permisions. Then I shared only the c drive on the xp machine, and still the win98 machines are not able to access the xp machine. It was working for awhile then all of a sudden one day the win98 machines where not able to talk to the winxp machines. I have tried to run system restore back to when the network was working correctly, and the win98 machines are still not connecting to the winxp machine. I am using remote desktop to work on my home computer from time to time, and also to work on my work computer from home.
Getting close to just reloading the thing lol......:mad:

I wouldn't reinstall XP just yet. There's no guarantee that it will fix the problem, especially as we don't know that its not a setting hat needs tweaking.

I also wouldn't share the entire C drive, that's asking for trouble. Just share the folders that users need access to. Make sure that all of the users on the 98 machines have the same user accounts and passwords (exactly matching as they are case sensitive) on the XP PC and then map network drives from the 98 PCs to the shares on the XP box using the DOS prompt with this syntax.

Net use [drive letter]: \\[XP machine name]\[share name]

Once it is established make it persistent. We have this arrangement on a few clients with similar setups to yours and they haven't had any problems at all.

If you are still having problems after this, have a look at the settings for shared folders in XP in Control Panel / Administrative tools / Computer management / shared folders and see if anything there doesn't look right.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online