1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Windows Vista to Windows 98 And Mapping a Network Drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ender_Wiggen, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_Wiggen

Ender_Wiggen Thread Starter

I'm trying to map a network drive on Windows Vista that is on a computer running Windows 98. On our network we are running 4 computers that have XP on them, 1 with Windows 98 and one with Windows NT. The Vista computer connects to the computers with XP on them just fine. However when I go to connect to the 98 computer it asks for the login. I input the login i used when I mapped out the network drive on the XP computers and it wouldn't accept the login. It changed it to "Vistacomputername/login" I even tried "NTcomputername/login" and that didn't work either. The IP addresses are correct in the naming and the Vista computer is on the same workgroup. I have had no problem networking the computers together and mapping the network drive until the Vista computer wouldn't accept the login info. Any ideas?

2. Ender_Wiggen

Ender_Wiggen Thread Starter

This issue has been a sore spot on putting this new computer into the network. The computer connects to the internet just not the Win 98 computer. Which has me puzzled as to what could possibly be going on. I have read another post about sharing folders between Win 98 and Vista and have tried the outlined instructions to no avail. Has anyone delt with mapping a network drive from a Win 98 computer to Vista? Or could someone help point me in the right direction?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/763289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice