1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking WinXP MCE and Win98 SE

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MScott2273, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MScott2273

MScott2273 Thread Starter

I have 2 PCs, 1 is a WinXP MCE, and the other in Win98 SE. The router is properly setup physically and the settings are correct. ICS is working fine, i get internet access for both machines, i can play MP games on both computers thru the LAN options.
    The XP computer can see the folders on the Win98 machine thru My Network Places, but my problem is the 98 PC cant see the XP comp in Network Neighborhood. What IS shown in Network Neighborhood is the Network name, and the 98 PC, and its own shared folders, but nothing about the XP machine. I have disabled the Windows Firewall in XP, and set the C Drive to be shared. Under the LAN connection there is no option about the ICF, so i assume by disabling the Win Firewall that cuts that off too. Is there something im missing?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's quite unusual to use ICS when you have a router, so maybe you'd be best served if you describe your entire network configuration.

3. MScott2273

ok i have 2 PCs, both connected (wired not wireless) thru a Netgear wgr614v6 router. i have bellsouth dsl service connected into the router.

both PCs can access the internet thru IE and other progs.

the 2 comps are able to interface with each other thru ping, LAN chat software, and mulitplayer games thru the network play options.

the WinXP computer can directly access the Win98 PC folders and files thru My Network Places, while the 98 PC, thru Network Neighborhood, cannot "see" the WinXP machine.

The 98 computer is listed in Network Neighborhood, but is the only one.

to setup both the PCs for the network i used the Network setup wizard on the XP machine and copued that over via my flash drive as per the instructions on the XP computer to the Win98 PC and followed the wizard there.

on the XP machine i have the TCP/IP protocol v6 and the "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)" installed under LAN properties, for the NIC.

The Win98 SE machine has TCP/IP installed in "Network", for the NIC.

Both machines have their ip addresses automatically obtained thru the router, 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, it doesn't sound like you are using ICS after all. I don't know Windows 98 enough to be of much help, but try this to see what happens.

Start - Run - \\IPofXP - OK
    where "IPofXP is the IP address of the XP machine. Error message?

If that works (shows the XP shares) the try the same thing except use the XP's computer name instead of the IP address.

By the way, I don't know if it's necessary, but with Win98 in the mix I'd keep all external names (including computer name) to eight or fewer alphanumerics.

5. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Strange. the machine with 192.168.1.1 has an unusual address. By default, the Netgear assigns itself 192.168.1.1. The first machine would get .2, the second, .3. What do each of the computers show as the gateway?

Courtney

6. MScott2273

@TerryNet:
    ok on the 98 PC i ran \\192.168.1.2 (which is the ip of the XP machine) and it gave me

"Cannot Access"
    "Do you want to use Dial-Up Networking to try and access that?"
    i also tried the network name of the XP comp also, same result

@Courtneyc:

both comps are set to show 192.168.1.1 as the gateway(the router)
    My mistake in the 1st post with the ips; the XP PC is 192.168.1.2 and the 98 comp is 192.168.1.3

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice