1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking & wireless: Can't manage router- typing IP address doesn't work(port fwd)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dinosaurs, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dinosaurs

dinosaurs Thread Starter

Hey,

I have setup a Static IP address through Windows XP, and I am trying to forward ports to my Xbox 360 (to avoid Strict NAT settings). The problem right now is that I cannot access my routers set up page.

I am using a D-Link WBR-2310, which is not installed on the PC, but runs a password-protected wireless network. I have run IPconfig, and have obtained the IP address and Default Gateway. When I type either in my Web Browser (tried Firefox/IE) I am led to my DSL modem's setup page and not my wireless router.

I have tried every IP address possible (from the default router address to the IPconfig) and I cannot access my wireless router setup. Through the D-Link website, I have also tried to use an emulator, but I am unable to make any changed regarding Port Forwarding. Once again, my wireless router is not installed, and the installation is not working because "The router is not detected- Error 322"

I have been trying to solve this problem for the past 4 hours with no luck so I would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

My guess is your DSL modem is also a router and your PC is getting its Gateway address from your DSL modem, not the router. Assuming they are both on the same subnet you can use a utility such as Angry IP Scanner to scan a range of IPs. It should show the IPs for all live devices on your network.
    Angry IP Scanner: http://www.angryziber.com/w/Home

Note: Some antivirus programs (Symantec is one) will identify it as a hacking tool which it is not.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The exact make and model of the "modem" would be really useful here. :)

4. dinosaurs

dinosaurs Thread Starter

Thank you Frank4d and JohnWill for your quick replies-

The model I am using is the SpeedStream 5200 (from 2003) and I connect using the Phone line and an Ethernet cable (not USB).
    http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&category_id=621&content_id=1173

I tried the IP Scanner, but it doesn't tell me anything I don't already know :confused:
    For example, I tried My default gateway address, wireless router address etc. Whatever I type (unless it is the modem's IP address) leads me to a blank page. I feel like I am missing something really basic, is my computer even aware of my wireless router?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have a modem/router, so you need to either configure it for bridge mode, or put the secondary router in the DMZ of the primary router (the Speedstream) to allow port forwarding to work properly.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/833260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice