1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking with broadband router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lewy, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lewy

lewy Thread Starter

Can anyone please help?
    I'm trying to network my desktop running win 98SE to my laptop running win XP. I can get the PC's to network ok, the problems I keep running into is the router has to after varying amounts of time has to be reset to it's default settings. I have also relied on it's firewall protection only to be hit by some nasty viruses, I tried auto IP settings and static settings but the problem persists. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

2. Del

Del

First, don't trust just the router to protect you, use a software firewall and a good antivirus program.
    Second, what's the problem? Exactly?
    Do you get disconnected from the internet?
    How do you connect to the internet?

3. lewy

lewy Thread Starter

The problem is the internet connection keeps disconnecting.
    But after reseting the router by it's default button the connection's ok.
    I have Norton's firewall installed, but with this enabled I can't get a connection. The connection that I'm running at present is through a Terayon modem via usb, which was the original set up proir to me trying to connect with the router. The router when experiencing problems does show FDX/COL lights on the led panel. Any idea's thanks Adrian.

4. Del

Del

So you're going from the usb modem to one computer's usb port and then from the NIC in that computer to the router and then to the other computer?
    Do you have any other USB devices on that computer?
    Exactly how are you setup?
    :confused:

5. lewy

lewy Thread Starter

Hello Del
    I'm currently useing usb from modem to pc without the router connected,I have had no problems with this type of connection.
    My set up with the router is:- Ethernet cable from modem to WAN port on the router, then one Ethernet cable from router to NIC in PC and one Ethernet cable from router to Laptop.

6. Del

Del

What brand and model is the router? Is it new?
    If you don't get disconnected when by-passing the router, seems evident that the router is the problem. You might call the tech support for the router company or try to exchange it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice