1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking with Netgear router, Win98 and Mac OSX

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Amity, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amity

Amity Thread Starter

Hi...

I've just purchased a G4 Powerbook with 802.11g wireless capability. So I bought a Netgear router (which may have been my first mistake) to network with a Win98 PC. I hooked the router up to the PC with an ethernet cable, and turned my Powerbook on. The Mac recognized the router immediately. The PC, however, is not so friendly. The Network Neighbourhood doesn't pick anything up. I have tried adding the router IP address. No avail.

Can you help?

Mike

2. bil4hire

bil4hire

Check the Win98 network properties in the TCP/IP set-up and make sure that it is set to use DHCP (obtain an ip address automatically) and after check to see what the ip address is (winipcfg or ipconfig from dos prompt)

3. Amity

Amity Thread Starter

I have run winipcfg. The IP shown is that of the router.

What am I missing?

Also, I do not have internet to the router at the moment. Is that necessary?

Thanks.
    Mike

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What do you expect the PC to see if you don't have Internet?

5. natcom

natcom

if you only want to share files is not necessary to have Internet connection but instead of a router I will use Hub

6. tronh

tronh

make sure that the router is configured to be a DHCP server (it should be by default, but check). Then that the clients are set to get their IP addresses automatically. You mentioned that ipconfig showed the same address as the router - that's a problem, unless you are referring to the gateway address. if the PC and the router have the same static IP it won't work.

Example:
    Router configured as DHCP server
    Router LAN address: 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0
    Router WAN (internet/gateway) address: 0.0.0.0 (you don't have an internet connection)
    DHCP address pool: 192.168.0.50 -- 192.168.0.255

Clients configured to get IP automatically:
    first client to get an IP: 192.168.0.50 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1
    second client: 192.168.0.51 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1

This will allow both clients to ping each other and the router, so TCP/IP will be fully configured and working. Then you will have to address file sharing at the OS level -- Windows is fairly easy but I don't know mac.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice