1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking with no wires. can it be done ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lee85boro, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

i have a wireless router and two wireless cards for two computers. can i connect my cable modem to my router transfer the connection to both machines.
    if so how? im really stuck heh

2. wacky.banana

wacky.banana

I'm trying to understand what you want. If you have 2 cards already for 2 computers you don't need the cable router unless you are saying tha the cable router is an adsl modem router.

Can you give us a little more detail please? Is the wireless router a router or a adsl router?

What is your overall setup?

WB

3. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

Its a 54 Mbps wireless broadband router (sweex wireless router)
    i have one machine downstairs with a wireless PCI adapter and another with the same adepter upstairs. the router is downstairs with my broadband cable modem.
    i want to connect my broadband cable modem to the router and then through the router send the connection to both computers so i can move the downstairs computer to another room away from the broadband connection.
    so i have the broadband in a room connected to the wireless router ( no computer) then the connection sent to the other computers without a wire

hope this is more helpful, many thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's best, sometimes mandatory, to configure the router using an ethernet connected computer, but then all computers can be wireless.

Just remember to power cycle the modem when switching its connected device from computer to router. Connect modem to WAN port of router and a computer to a LAN port. If you don't have internet immediately, login to the router and clone the MAC address of the computer that had been connected to the modem. Set the wireless SSID to something you like and then connect the other computer wirelessly. When you have that working, then enable encryption (preferably WPA-PSK) on the router and reconnect the wireless computer.

Then disconnect your first computer and connect it wireless. When that works, go ahead and move the computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/520225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice