1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking with win 95

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bill142, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bill142

bill142 Thread Starter

I have a computer with win 95 which i want to connect to a computer that runs XP. I have a feeling there might be something wrong with the cable as there both straight through cables with a crossover box. How do i make win 95 find a connection because XP seems to have done it easily.. how can i get some form of icon in the system tray to find out if its connected or not cos from what i can tell win 95 isn't connected and dosn't know that it is connected.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you wrote a lot, but didn't say much. Is the XP computer seeing the W95 system? Can you access files on the W95 computer from the XP system? What happens when you open Network Neighborhood on the W95 system?

3. jamestown

jamestown

I have the exact same problem: Windows 95 on a laptop trying to connect to a desktop using XP home. This Laptop using W95 was successfully networked with a previous desktop running NT4. Worked just fine. The NT4 desktop died and I replaced it with a new PC running XP home.

The 2 PCs are connected using netrwork cards and the correct cable (no router).
    Everything is the same except for the XP desktop being new. I ran the network wizard on the XP desktop and finished it successfully. This wizard produces a diskette that can be used on other PCs in the network to connect them to the network but I cannot use it because it is only for W98 and higher, not for W95 which is what I have on the laptop.

Neither PC can "see" the other. I used the same domain name for the home network on both. I suspect the problem has something to do with the permissions and shares on the new XP PC - but I do not know enough to know how to fix that. Maybe the settings on W95 laptop also need to be changed but I kept them the same because they worked fine on the W95-NT4 home network.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

4. JohnWill

What protocols do you have installed? I'd start by installing NETBEUI on both machines. FWIW, I don't think it's a permissions issue, or you'd see the W95 computer from the XP, but not the other way.

5. jamestown

jamestown

On the XP desktop I have Client for Microsoft networks, File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler and TCP/IP installed. That is what the XP wizard installed.
    Are you sure you need Netbui?

6. JohnWill

I've found that by far the easiest way to get XP talking to W95/W98 computers is using NETBEUI. It's pretty easy to install, has no configuration, and solves the problem. What's not to like? :D

7. jamestown

jamestown

Sounds good. I have been reading a bit about it. Since this is a small 2 PC network, it almost sounds ideal.
    But, before I implement it, will it permit me to connect the W95 laptop to the internet through the Desktop PC like TCP/IP will? My readings were not clear on that.

Thanks for the help.

8. JohnWill

You'll be leaving TCP/IP in place, you're just adding a protocol. It should have no effect on stuff like IP sharing that's already working.

9. jamestown

jamestown

OK, I added Netbios service to both PCs. Now the XP shows the following protocols installed:
    NWLink NetBios and
    NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Compatible Transport protocol in addition to the others.

The W95 laptop shows the following protocols installed:
    NetBEUI -> Dialup adapter
    NetBEUI -> Dialup adapter (second time)
    NetBEUI -> Linksys Etherfast 10/100 Integrated PC card
    in addition to the previous protocols.

Yet neither PC can see each other yet including with "find computer".
    What do I do next?

(I closed off my Zone Alarm firewall).
    Thanks.

10. jamestown

jamestown

Just wanted to add that this same laptop connected just fine to an NT4 desktop prior to attempting to lionk to the new XP desktop PC.

11. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

12. jamestown

jamestown

No. I just added what I could find on the "add" that looked right for NetBeui. Thanks for the intruction lead. Will do now.

13. jamestown

jamestown

That did it!!!!!
    Thank you. Unaware that NetBeui was not an automatic part of XP, I installed what looked the closest to it - which was
    "NWLink NetBios and
    NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Compatible Transport protocol "
    Following the instructions on the website you sent me to, I installed NetBeui and now both PCs can see each other. I will remove the unnecessary NetBios protocols I erroneously installed.

Thank you.
    Now I will see if, using the Netbeui connection, I can connect to the internet via the XP desktop's dialup connection to the internet. Do you know if thatis possible through the NetBeui connection?

Thanks again!

14. JohnWill

I was beaten to the punch, IPX is NOT NETBEUI. :D

To answer your latest question, you need TCP/IP for any Internet connection, NETBEUI is a non-routable protocol. NETBEUI is only included for it's ability to do name resolution on a local LAN, especially with the poor excuse for name resolution that Microsoft gave us with XP. :rolleyes:

Finally, I'd recommend you remove NETBEUI from anything but the local LAN connection, and remove IPX altogether.

15. jamestown

jamestown

Thanks. Done.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice