1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking XP and 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stephen63, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephen63

stephen63 Thread Starter

I've decided to create a home network.

When I inserted the Net Setup floppy I made on the XP computer, this error:

Yeah, I can't find those help files..

So... how do you network a XP machine with a 2000?

2. Swiper

Swiper

Question for you

How are you connected to the two machines together?

3. stephen63

stephen63 Thread Starter

My XP is connected to the wireless router through an ethernet cable, and the 2000 laptop is wirelessly connected to that same router.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to make sure both computers are members of the same workgroup and each computer has a unique name. Next select some files, folders, printers, etc to share. As long as you have a functioning nic card, you should be able to view / share files.

Note you will need to logon to the computer you are trying to connect to. If you do not want to have to logon each time you restart one of the systems, you will need to create an account on the system with the same name as the one you are one now.

An example would be trying to access a system on my home network. I log onto my machine with the account XXX. I would need to create an account on the machine I am trying to access for XXX. If you do not do this, you will be prompted to logon when you access the system.

5. stephen63

stephen63 Thread Starter

How do I go about creating a workgroup?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Control panel>system properties>network>identification. Now go to properties and type in whatever workgroup name you want. Windows defaults to "workgroup"

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, XP-Home defaults to MSHOME, however 2K and XP-Pro use WORKGROUP as their defaults. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice