1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking XP and Linux Gateway (HELP)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bsanders4, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsanders4

bsanders4 Thread Starter

I am trying to network my Windows XP box to my Red Hat linux 7.1 box.

My linux box is set up to act as a gateway to the internet and a DNS server. I can connect to the internet on my linuxbox without any problem, and I can ping it locally by the IP address I assigned it.

Unfortunately, I cannot get my windows box to accept the IP address I have assigned it. Whenever I boot my PC, I get a message saying that my network cable is disconnected. However, the cable is not disconnected.

Windows says that the ethernet card is functioning normally, and I know that both the cards and cables are fine (I've tested everything.)

If I go to the Control Panel >> Network and Internet Connections >> Network Connections, I have two LAN Connections showing. One is 1394 Net Adapter which is enabled. The other is a Local Area Connection (my ethernet card) which shows as "unplugged". Under Internet Protocol >> Properties I have set up my linux box as the gateway and set the windows box IP to the IP specified in my linux box DNS.

If anyone can help me get my windows box to recognize both my linux box and itself I would be eternally grateful. This XP thing is a pain in the a$$.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are you getting linkand activity lights on your NIC when the cable is connected? Does the Linux box have more than one NIC? Sounds like you have DNS and gateway addresses confused. There are seperate settings for both on the XP box. Still confused as to why XP isn't configuring your NIC or saying it's not connected......does it directly support that NIC driver wise?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice