Networking XP and Media Center

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mrtechnique

I'm having problems networking a friend's desktop running Windows XP Home Edition and his laptop running Windows XP Media Center Edition. I've run the Network Setup Wizard on the desktop and saved the settings to a flash drive. Then I ran the file on the flash drive on the laptop. Even though I did this, the computer are still not showing that they are networked together. The router he's using is a Linksys. I was going to see if the computers could ping each other but could not get an IP address for either computer when I ran IPConfig. Perhaps someone could help me?

Are both computers actually getting an IP? Check system tray.
Can both of them bring up a webpage?

The system tray is by the clock, all the little icons.

Run network setup on both computers. Don't copy the settings, just make sure you enter the same workgroup name on both.

Any firewalls on either of them?

Shoudn't make a difference. Turn it off to try it.

Start > Connect To > Show all connections > (on left) Change windows firewall settings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online