1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ste2223, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Hi. I recently got a new pc and I want to network it with my old one. I have an NTL broadband connection and I would like to have this on both my pc's, but I want it so that both pc's can access the broadband individually. I would also like to set it up so that the computers can share files and stuff. What will I need to do this? Also I need to know how to do this. Can anyone help? :confused: Thanks!

2. dai

dai

use a router and follow the instructions in the manual to set it up
    enable file and printer sharing,enable sharing on any drives you wish to share,on the computers

3. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

I thought it was a router I should buy thanks. Is it easy to set up? Will the router manual show me how to enable file and printer sharing and enable sharing on the drives. I don't think it will, will it? If not then how do I do this? Thanks for your help.

4. nnjersey0

nnjersey0

To share a drive or folder...
    go to My Computer
    on the drive: Right Click > Sharing and Security...
    click "share this folder on the network"
    and give it a name...like "Joe's C Drive"
    click Apply & Ok

To share a specific file, like a picture...
    you can put a copy of the file into you "Shared Docs" folder.

To access the network, go to your web browser and type
    "\\Network" (without quotes) where Network is the name of your network.

All your networked folders will then be displayed.

Hope this helps, atleast with half of your problem :eek:

5. dai

dai

the manual will only show you how to set up the router,when you have it and need more help just post back to this thread

6. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Well I'm going out tommorow to get a router so when I start plugging things in it should become clearer. Thanks for your help!

7. dai

dai

don't forget to pick up an extra straight thru patch cable for the other comp to the router

8. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

I'll get one. Thanks!

9. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Just to make sure it's clear, you need a router with a built in switch with 4 (or more) ports. (Actually, you'll only need 2 at this point, but the router/switch boxes I'm familiar with have 4 switch ports) Otherwise, you'll also need a switch...

10. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Hi again. I got a router plugged it in, ran the instalation cd on my new computer and it found the router and set it up and I can get access to the internet, but when I ran the cd on the other computer it said "broadband router not found." In the manual it says if you cannot access the internet then go to "ip address" but when I go to this address it asks for a username and password. Does anyone know whats up with it? Thanks!

11. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Ok. I found the password, so that bits ok but I still cannot get internet on my other computer.

12. dai

dai

set the router to auto assign dhcp addresses

13. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

It's ok I fixed it. The computer wasn't set to obtain IP address automatically. THanks anyway.

14. dai

dai

i made the same mistake when i set mine up,that's what brought me here in the first place

15. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

I have internet on both computers and now I want to share files, folders ect... I no how to set them so there shared but I do not know how to access them. Someone in this thread said type "\\name of network". How do I find out the name of my network? Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice