Networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DSS

This isn't a huge issue, but I would appreciate a bit of help.

A friend of mine bought a wireless router for his PC. We got a LAN of sorts running between his PC and laptop, which was the main reason for buying the router. We live in a dorm, so naturally when others learned he had a wireless thing going on, they wanted to get in on the action. There are a couple of bugs that we haven't managed to work out, as neither of us have any real experience in this sort of thing. He's wanting his router to talk to another guy's router in an effort to extend the overall range of the network. So far, though, we can't manage to get the two routers to see each other. Both of them, BTW, are Linksys. I was wondering if this was possible and, if so, how would I go about doing it?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Let's move this to networking first.

If you give us the exact models of the router, we can be of more help. Many routers only operate in Gateway mode, and will not talk to another router. Some models have Bridge or Access Point capability, and will function with another router. We need to know what you're using.

Realistically a router on router connection will not work unless one of the routers is bridged. The best way to extend range is to buy a range extender.

DSS

I'll dig up the info on it and get back to you, then.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
As I mentioned JohnUSAF, some routers offer the capability to operate in Bridge or Access Point mode. Generally, a broadband router is cheaper than either dedicated product, because they sell so many more of them.

Correct JohnWill, and the new model of the Linksys WRT54G can be set for dynamic routing in the advanced routing area to connect it to another router. Actually mine is a couple years old and provides that feature so he should be in luck depending on the range desired.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online