1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zman708, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zman708

zman708 Thread Starter

I have three computers. My main computer(toaster) has a cable modem and a Linksys router. 6 ports. I am trying to get internet
    sharing to work. Each computer can see one another on the network. I have one cat 5 going from the modem to the uplink.
    Then each computer is attached to one of the ports. 1,2 and 3.
    I have a connection to the toaster. Try as I may, nothing on the other two. Proxy is off, and I have tried to connect through the
    Ie5 lan setup. Help!!! I had this system working at one time
    when using two net cards in the toaster---but, got the blue screen of death to often...Any ideas? Thanks a million in advance!

2. bubbalouie

bubbalouie

You didn't say what operating system your running on these computers but I assume it's windows 98 or me, Do you have them set up for networking using a router?

1) nic cards in each machine
    2) each machine connected via cat 5 cable to the router
    3) network protocols loaded in each machine ( the easiest one to use is Netbeui, a microsoft protocol which while kind of dated(1985) and non routeable will work great for a home network.
    4) You may have to load TCP/IP also if your cable network requires it, but thats only if they require it.

You said the main machine has Internet access but you can't get any access on the other machine's. Is your cable company using static or dynamic ip address's for connection? If your cable connection is like mine(ATT Broadband) all you have to do is check the DHCP box in your network settings and each machine is going to be assigned a TCP/IP address.This is done in the TCP/IP properties box, just check the obtain an IP address from a DHCP server and click on apply.Good luck:rolleyes:

3. tominator

tominator

Here are a couple of Ideas.
    1. can you access the internet at all ? if no read below. If yes skip to #3
    2.cable companys usually require you to register a MAC address with them. When you say I did away with the second NIC . was that the NIC which was connected to the WAN side of the proxy ?
    3. you mentioned that you would get BSOD , while the multihomed machine routes packets. sounds like this machine has lots of processes going on but not enough processing power or MEM. why dont you scrap the whole proxy setup, and buy a lynksys router, you can pick one up for about 75 to 100 bucks, no need to worry about calling the cable company to have the MAC filter updated you can configure the MAC address you want it to use easily thorugh your web browser. Just connect a cat5 cross or straight from the dsl modem to the wan port on the lynksys, then connect another CAT5 from the uplink jack on your HUP to the LAN port , you should be good to go. I just dont like proxies they are a real pain.

4. zman708

zman708 Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas....I would like a more stable system. I think I will cough up a few bucks to regain my sanity.....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice