1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking2 comps at home

Discussion in 'Networking' started by glendawaggon, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glendawaggon

glendawaggon Thread Starter

Hi, i have 2 comps networked together, a gateway & hp, had someone come and set it up for me for i could access one from the other one.I use the hewlette packard as main computer. they had put icon on desktop that reads: my network places, i could click that and it brings up, the names we gave it,etc. Glendas documents on gateway, glendas documents,etc. it worked great, until some of my nieces were usuing comp and the deleted glendas documents on gateway, glendas documents and settings, etc. the only thing i have left is the icon on my desktop,(my network places)whic when u click it brings up an blank page. i need help putting this back where i can access the other comp. I have looked and read and called people, no one knows how to do it. neither do i.

model#:a1630n
    serial#:mxx65005rd
    I have windows xp
    Thanks, glenda

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What was deleted? Folders on the gateway?

In My Network Places what happens when you click on 'view workgroup computers'?

3. glendawaggon

glendawaggon Thread Starter

The folders were on the hewlette packard, not the gateway. All the folders on the HP were deleted. tThe only thing i have left is the icon on the desktop that says, my network places. When i click on my network places which are on my desktop, all it does is bring up a blank page. There is nothing anywhere that says view workinggroup. when it was still correctly, then when i ckicked on my net work places it would bring up the folders, that said, glendas, network places on gateway desk top or just glendas network places, there were only 2 folders and they were on the HP, i accessed the folders on gateway to the HP. thans for replying to me, glenda

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you had actual folders on the HP and they were deleted, that's a different problem than what I am assuming.

I thought, and still think, that the actual folders are on the Gateway, you used to be able to access these folders through My Network Places on the HP, and now you cannot. If this is not your problem, I am sorry, and please ignore the rest of this post.

In My Network Places turn on "Show common tasks in folders" as described here: http://www.xp-tips.com/toggle-common-tasks.html

Now one of those tasks should be 'view workgroup computers.' Try it and tell us the exact error message if it doesn't result in icons for your two PCs. If you do get the PCs, double click on the Gateway. Does that result in what you want? Or what error message?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice