1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networks and SP2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tom_Camp, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom_Camp

Tom_Camp Thread Starter

We have a network at our church. I usually have pretty good luck keeping it running. However, when it came our server's turn to have XP Pro updated to SP2 it shut down the network. I got everybody working again by using system restore on the server and all terminals (XP Home). Every once in a while some newbie will accept the Window upgrade to SP2 an it takes a few hours to fix it. It is probably some software on the server that causes this. I suspect Norton Internet Security. Any suggestion would be welcomed. :)

2. ratchet

ratchet

Welcome to TSG.

I'm not fimlar with XP Home but try logging in as administrator, then right click My Computer, Select Manage, then services, scroll to Automatic Updates, right click it and select properties, stop and disable it.

3. Colossus610

Colossus610

SP2 also installs a more "robust"(meh, whatever, "paranoid" is the term here) firewall, that could be shutting off what I presume is the Internet Connection Sharing that you are running on the server.
    by default the SP2 installs the firewall to file and print sharing to "off" and almost no network functionality.
    Either disable the Windows Firewall alltogether and use a properly configured 3rd party firewall as I do(I myself use Norton Internet Security, if prop configured it is great.), or after the sp2 install, configure the networking, file/internet sharing and firewall options on the server's new SP2 firewall.

4. Tom_Camp

Tom_Camp Thread Starter

Your response seems to fit our scenario. I will give you a complete report as soon as I can try it. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/371308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice