1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Deohlawd, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deohlawd

Deohlawd Thread Starter

My ISP just installed my Internet they use fiber. There is what they call a smart box in my garage. My home was hard wired when built having 3 connections up stairs and one down. He said he was only responsible for one "hot" wire in what they call the smart panel and i make my connections from there. I should have asked if what he install in the box was just a modem or modem/router. I was going to place my wireless router in the box in the garage but he said to put a switch which I did and was able to have connectivity in all rooms. I further placed another switch in my office to run printers etc all hard wire. I then hooked my router to the switch which worked and provided me with strong wireless upstairs but weak downstairs. I was wondering what would be the best solution for signal strength downstairs, range extender,another router, access point. I considered placing the router in the garage but I foresee the same problem upstairs and maybe not great downstairs as it would be in the garage. Need suggestions. I have an 8 port linksys switch in the box, an 8 port linksys switch in my office and an E4200 wireless router connected to the switch in the office.

Thank you

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

By "weak", do you mean you are unable to connect? You could try just re-orienting your antenna(s) or adding a larger one before moving things around. If you are able to connect and seem to get a god enough signal, I wouldn't worry about the objective signal strength too much.

You may also be able to increase the power of the router in its settings, but that may only affect transmission. That may be enough.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice