1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Never Ending

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mediasst, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mediasst

Mediasst Thread Starter

My windows is constantly running a "backround application". The reason I know this is because every time I preform scandisk it is constantly restarting. I cannot figure out what program is running in the backround. I know it is not my screensaver because I set it for 60 minutes or I shut it off. Help!

2. kalvin_2020

kalvin_2020

I always shutdown my virus checking (McAfee) program prior to launching Scandisk..otherwise I encounter the same prob. To shut it down, I right clik on it in the taskbar and clik on "exit".

3. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage

Mediasst: Have you tried running Scandisk in Safe Mode?

Also, there is a program, Startup Cop, that is very useful in pinpointing which applications are running in the backround.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

oh we can do better than that. Go to start/run type in msinfo32... then click the + at software envirement... then click on startup... go to Edit & click select... then back to edit & copy.... come back & paste it in here

but if its just while running scan disk it most likely is your screen saver which must be disabled to run a scan

5. kalvin_2020

kalvin_2020

I always shutdown my virus checking (McAfee) program prior to launching Scandisk..otherwise I encounter the same prob. To shut it down, I right clik on it in the taskbar and clik on "exit".

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

The easiest way to scandisk is in safe mode... that way nothing is running.
    Otherwise you have to use alt-ctrl-del for everything except explorer

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice