Never Ending

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mediasst

My windows is constantly running a "backround application". The reason I know this is because every time I preform scandisk it is constantly restarting. I cannot figure out what program is running in the backround. I know it is not my screensaver because I set it for 60 minutes or I shut it off. Help!

I always shutdown my virus checking (McAfee) program prior to launching Scandisk..otherwise I encounter the same prob. To shut it down, I right clik on it in the taskbar and clik on "exit".

Mediasst: Have you tried running Scandisk in Safe Mode?

Also, there is a program, Startup Cop, that is very useful in pinpointing which applications are running in the backround.

oh we can do better than that. Go to start/run type in msinfo32... then click the + at software envirement... then click on startup... go to Edit & click select... then back to edit & copy.... come back & paste it in here

but if its just while running scan disk it most likely is your screen saver which must be disabled to run a scan

I always shutdown my virus checking (McAfee) program prior to launching Scandisk..otherwise I encounter the same prob. To shut it down, I right clik on it in the taskbar and clik on "exit".

The easiest way to scandisk is in safe mode... that way nothing is running.
Otherwise you have to use alt-ctrl-del for everything except explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online