1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Never played online games need help

Discussion in 'Games' started by punabutta825, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. punabutta825

punabutta825 Thread Starter

I'm 47 yrs old and have never played online, my spec's;
    Compaq presario 6370US 2.53 p4 XP home sp2 auto updates
    FIC 31L mobo Intel 845G chipset 1 gig 266 mem Realtech RTL8139 NIC
    Samsung 120gb HD and DVD-ROM, ATAPI CDRW 52x32x52
    ATI 9600XT 128mb video card SB Audigy 2 ZS current drivers
    Roadrunner cable isp @500-600kbps downloads, using a Motorola surfboard modem routed through a Lynksys cable router with firwall to an old p3 HP and my Compaq. Oh I have the sp2 firewall enabled too.

Problem is I know how fast I move around and play a game depends
    somewhat on my ping, how do I determine this. I've looked on google
    for some utility to help me figure this out but I can't even figure out
    how to get the information they reguire to determine this.

Please help, I really wanted to start playing Far Cry online but don't know
    who I should be playing with, low pings or high number pings. I know ping has something to do with how fast a packet goes and returns to my computer, and there it is, can someone help me figure these things out, administrator or anyone?

Much Mahalos Punabutta825

2. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

The smaller the ping, the faster the route to the specified location... Ergo anything below say 80 is acceptable. Going above the 100's and it can get choppy, people start "teleporting" etc.

I don't know what Far Cry's like, so I can't really help you in detail. It seems your internet connection is more than able to cope though, although using a router can generate problems, due to closed ports and the like.

3. Sinister_Bee

Sinister_Bee

Clumbsy_Mage is right - you'll ideally want your ping to be below 100.

As for finding out how fast you're pinging, it varies from server to server - I've not played Far Cry, but the standard server browsers tend to list what your ping would be like on the server.

If it doesn't list the ping - you could try All Seeing Eye which is free to try, and allows you to only list servers that are in your country (which will ping better than those based abroad)

4. jgjg

jgjg

It may be your fps (frames per second) also, try turning down some graphics settings under options. Ive never played farcry so i dont know the average fps but id estimate around 70 for an 8 player or so game, depending on the graphic card's gpu (graphics processing unit) and other specs on the video card. You also may have some unneeded processes running in the background- try a spyware scan http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ is usually a good one.

-jgjg

5. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

Even though he doesn't actually have a problem per say, and was only enquiring about latency, FPS is also a big factor in gaming as JGJG states...

6. dipstick01

dipstick01

make sure anything that will acess the net is turned off..i.e windows update, anti virus auto update,messenger etc.

If you have a firewall you might find you get better ping rates with it disabled. Make sure your anti virus is up to date and I also suggest running a specific trojan scanner before spending time online unfirewalled. Have as little running in the background and things should go great.

Farcry online is fun but confusing lol but then I play battlefield and only tried farcry a few times. If your system runs farcry fine then online will make no difference.

Be sure to learn the ettiquette of the game also. Perhaps search for some online forums that are specific to farcry online and have a read.
    I know in Battlefield there are a few peeves that brand a"noob" using vehicles as taxis to planes...stealing your vehicle while you are fixing it....always hoggin a plane or vehicle and of course....killing your own team mates on a regular basis lol.

Have fun as you will find the game changes drastically once you get online

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Never disable your firewall. It will give intruders a chance to attack your machine.

8. jonasdatum

jonasdatum

I heard that playing multiplyr on FC is a joke becasue the players move slow. Thus those who have a sniper rifle can pick you off from half a board away. You might want to consider playing something else online. Goto www.gamespot.com or www.gamespy.com. Good luck and enjoy!

9. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

Some good multiplayer First Person Shooter's in my opinion are Call of Duty and its expansion pack United Offensive, and Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory which is very similar to CoD but is free to play & downloadable(257MB)!

They are both quite slow paced games, where rushing into battle gets you killed, in contrast Unreal Tournament 2004 is a good game but is all very chaotic, fast paced mayhem...

There is also of course Counter Strike, and its many derivatives, Counter Strike: Source for example, which comes in a package with Half Life 2...

The list goes on though, I just hope you found these posts helpful. (y)

10. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

Anything less than 100 is great.

Farcry wouldnt be a great choice for online gaming. Maps are huge (once the map was full and there were no kills for like 15mins) and sniping is overpowered.

I reccommend you play RTCW or CounterStrike:Source

11. jonasdatum

jonasdatum

I haven't played FC, but I've seen the review and read it. How many players max on it? If there weren't any kills for 15 minutes. Dude I could have made lunch and took a shower in that amout of time. Never heard of that.

12. punabutta825

punabutta825 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advise. I have COD and play it all the time so I think I'll try that game instead of Far Cry. It might be a little too hard core (Far Cry) to start with, even single player regular mode is hard. Any input on the pcworld site 23852 "stop unnecessary services batch file", supposed to help with the stuff sucking resources in the back round any bad comments or good? I've disabled my windows firewall, spoke to the roadrunner tech guy and he told me the routers firewall is enough and he also told me the ping has a lot to do with the server I'm connected to, as advised by your helpful comments. How's the learning curve on-line for COD as long as I don't kill my squad mates how organized is the game play probably depends on what group I join right. I'm dying to find out. Sorry for all the disorganized thoughts, I'm on medication.

Thank you again for your timely advise, I'll be back later with some kill numbers (where I get killed) lol.

Aloha nui loa
    Punabutta

13. jonasdatum

jonasdatum

How is the gaming comming along?

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    wow... well done resurrecting an old thread ;)

15. Cosmoguy

Cosmoguy

I myself like Soldier of Fortune II online !!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/344852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice