NEVER used floppy disk before...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joechristi

I have never used my floppy disk drive since I bought this back a few years ago. I went to try and put some things on it, but it won't let me. I get disk cannot be formatted. The disks I bought are Memorex 2SHD and it says FORMATTED.? I know nothing about this. Please help.

They should be OK, some are preformatted some need you to format them by right clicking on the A drive and choosing format.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Can you try reading another disk, like a Windows 98 bootdisk or any floppy you have laying around.

joechristi

I don't have any other disks. And the file that i'm trying to copy is a small resume. 9 kb.

Double check to make sure they are IBM formated and not MAC formated. Also there is a write protect tab on one side, it should be closed, blocking the hole. If it's open you can't write to the floppy.

You say u never used it til now. Is the floppy drv being properly
recognized under Device Manager ? Is there any yellow/red marks present under Floppy Disk Controller or Disk Drives ? Anything like that ?

joechristi

The floppy disk is recognized. No errors seen.
The disk is in the correct way silver side down.
How do I check if it is IBM or MAC formatted?
And the hole is closed.

I have no clue.

The floppy disks are something which is least reliable for storing data. At times they go bad within 15 minutes. So don't be surprised if after formatting and storing data successfully, the disks throw a lot of errors.

This is just to caution you.

and to give u info,,, in the inside of the floppy drive.. it has what i think they call slider or head....it is the one responsible reading and writing on the media of the floppy disk...if that slider is dirty it won't be able to read, write and off course format ur diskette...try to buy one im very sure it's cheap...

a floppy disk is still used during win98 installation....but if ur not using a win98 o/s then probably u wont need the floppy drive anymore...

Originally posted by joechristi:
The floppy disk is recognized. No errors seen.
The disk is in the correct way silver side down.
How do I check if it is IBM or MAC formatted?
And the hole is closed.

I have no clue.
It would say on the box if it was MAC formated. If the disk is recognized in the drive it's an IBM formatted floppy. Did you try to format it?

joechristi

i tried to format it but it wouldn't.
the disk itself says "formatted"

oh i dunno..

Originally posted by joechristi:
i tried to format it but it wouldn't.
the disk itself says "formatted"

oh i dunno..
Is there any writing on the silver tab on the floppy?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online