New 13" Macbook Pro with lots of problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Palmettojeff

I bought my daughter a new MacBook Pro for college....It's not even a year old, and she was getting errors saying that she was running out of memory (hard drive was full, not RAM)...We couldn't figure it out, because she wasn't storing music or video on the computer. This was after her 90 day period, so she used her one free Support call, and they figured that her email kept recovering her emails over and over (or something to that effect), and so he talked her through deleting that data....she had also gone through her computer and cleaned some things out. Now, there are lots of problems: Can't copy and paste, iphoto and several other programs don't fully launch. It keeps saying "iphoto(or whatever) closed unexpectedly" garageband now just sort of locks up during opening and must be force closed.
I have read and tried several remedies...i was hoping that the private/tmp file was the issue, but that didn't help anything.
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Can you open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type the following commands:
Code:
ls -l /
ls -l /private/
If you look at the entry for the /tmp folder and the /private/tmp folder, does it match this (ignore the date part):
Code:
[email protected] 24 root  wheel      816 21 Dec 06:18 tmp

If they are OK, there could be a chance she has deleted some other important files.
Without being able to look at the system, a Archive and Install option might be the quickest and easiest option: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you want to diagnose more, start /Applications/Utilities/Console and clickShow Log List button.
Than highlight the All Messages section on the left.

Try to start a failing app and you likely will see some error messages on the right panel that will help pinpoint the issues.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online