1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New 16x DVDs Won't Work

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Jimmy A, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Trying to make data disc like I used to do with Nero software. "Burn fails." Spits out the disc. Tried un-installing Nero and re-installing with OEM disc that came with my LiteOn burner. All DVDs in stores seem to be this 16x speed. Last ones I had were 8x, which worked fine. But I've used them all up so I can't try an 8x to see if it still works with 8x. The burner is described on its box as a 16x.

Any one else buy new 16x DVDs that don't work?

Would appreciate any help or ideas.

2. SB305

SB305

Two suggestions:
    1. See if there's a firmware update available for your specific burner at the manufacturer's website.
    2. Try burning one of the 16x discs at 4x or 8x - these options should be available in your burning program.

3. stantley

stantley

DVD burners work good with some brands of media and not at all with others and it's usually through trial-and-error you find which brand works best. If you can find more of the 8x ones that worked, continue buying them. Here's some good info on media: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Burning at the fastest speed of the burner can cause problems too. The first thing to try if you have a bad burn is to burn at a slower speed. Also what burning method are you using with Nero?

Try different media and a slower speed first, if you're still having problems then try updating the firmware.

4. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Found on the back of the box my LiteOn burner came in, it says DVD+R 16x, but DVD-R 8x. So I guess that is sort of a speed limit. I don't fully understand all this. But apparently 4x and 8x work, but 16x does not. I don't care much about the speed, long as it just works. About 2 years ago when I first bought and installed the DVD burner the DVD-R disks in the stores were 4x. Then later when I used them up and bought more the stores all had 8x. Now it seems all they have is 16x which my burner spits out and says "No way!" So now I just have to search and find DVD-R that is 8x.

And btw it did not matter that I set the write speed lower to 8x or 6x it still rejected the disc and before I realized all this I went out and bought 25 of the approved Maxell brand, but still 16x and they didn't work. Then I found this DVD-R 8x "speed limit" on the box. So now I have 25 Maxell and 50 Memorex DVD-R 16x disks that I can not use and of course they are opened so I probably can't take them back. Anyone coming through NC need some 16x DVDs??

5. SB305

SB305

Those disks will be worth more than your burner now.
    Why not check to see if there's a firmware update available for it? That's solved similar problems for me in the past, especially with Lite-On burners. I don't buy Lite-On any more.
    FWIW my domestic TV recorder (for which no firmware upgrade has ever been available) has had no problems with any 16x brand of DVD-R that I've tried. It just sees them as 4x and burns them at that speed while continuing to burn 8x disks at 8x.

6. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend what DVD burners they believe to be better than LiteOn? What are the best ones?

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well there are lots of Lite-on fans out there (not me). There also many who think +R DVD-5 media 'booktyped' to DVD-Rom is also important for video (not me).

That said these are my discs of choice. Priced right and of the highest quality. Do note that for those with older burners, or those reluctant to update firmware these are the discs to get.

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merch...roduct_Code=1736-100&Category_Code=TAIYOYUDEN

My latest burner is the Pioneer DVR-115D. Here's a test result (I use my BenQ for testing). This a TY -R 8X burned at MAX with ImgBurn, it got up to 12.6X during the burn.

[​IMG]

This is a near perfect result. Do note that the 115D will not booktype SL +R media but it does auto-booktype DL +R media (which is important) for video.

You might like to peruse these reviews for suggestions.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews

8. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to respond here. But most of the jargon, the things you said are like a language I have not learned yet. I use Nero Vision 3 to make video files into a playable DVD, and I've become pretty good at that. But I've never figured out those Nero Tools, like the window you sent.

Thanks again,
    Jim

9. SB305

SB305

The best DVD recorder I ever bought was the Pioneer hard drive TV recorder I mentioned above. Still, since it cost the equivalent of US$900, I suppose that's no surprise. I stopped buying Pioneer DVD writers after the 109 turned out to be a disappointment and I've bought the cheap Sony-branded burners since. These don't have a great reputation but the 4 I've had have been fault-free.
    Here in the UK Tesco sells Kodak 8x DVD-R disks. I must have used about 200 by now and every single one burned perfectly.

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well I doubt that. And Kodak doesn't make discs they just package them. What do yours ID as? Depending on the country of origin they could be MBI, CMC, ProDisc, IAG, AML, among others (all 3rd tied makers). If your package says Made in Japan you might have lucked out and gotten Tai Yudens.

Why don't you post a Quality test? And as to your 4 Sony burners if bought over a period of years they might all be have been made by different manufacturers, again no significant correlation can be made.

11. SB305

SB305

Do you really believe that I was not already aware of the fascinating expertise which you aired above?
    This is Jimmy A's thread and he's already told you that he doesn't understand jargon.
    You can doubt to your heart's content, it won't alter the fact that my experience, limited as I'll allow it to be, has lead me to these conclusions:
    1. If I want a trouble-free DVD burner, I'll buy a Sony.
    2. If I want trouble-free DVD-R disks I'll buy Kodaks from Tesco.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice