1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New 1gb RAM Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ben101, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ben101

ben101 Thread Starter

Hello...

I have a beautiful little eMachines desktop, less than a year old. XP Home. It had 512mb RAM (2 x 256mb). There are 4 slots overall. To put the RAM in you have to like pull back these plastic tabs on each end. The two slots taken up by the 256mb rams had white plastic tabs, the empty ones were black. I put the 1gb into the easily accessible empty slot with black plastic tabs. When the computer came on, everything was working fine, faster than before which was nice, but when i checked in system info. it said i had 0.97gb of RAM.

SOOO basically somethings gone wrong. It cant be that i have the wrong RAM, otherwise it wouldnt recognise any of it, and so i just dont know.

Oh and i tried it in the white slots, with one of the 256mb ones in the slot with the black plastic tabs but the same problem arose.

Not only this, but the computer cant do much without resetting itself or crashing. When i take out the 1gb rams, the problem goes away. I dont get it because ive taken out and replaced the 256mb rams but the computer works fine, so it cant be the way im putting the ram in.

Any help and i will be grateful... sorry if ive blabbed on a bit too much.

Cheerio

Ben

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

What model eMachines do you have?

3. ben101

ben101 Thread Starter

emachine e4024

4. Jones

Jones

Are you saying you have 2x256 sticks in there now, and are trying to put in one 1gb stick in one of the empty slots? If so, there's your problem.

Your motherboard uses DDR RAM, which is why there are 2 different colored slots. You need to install DDR memory in pairs, and they need to be the same speed (PC2100, PC2700, or PC3200). You can have 2x256 and add 2 more 256, 2x512, or 2x1gb. Just make sure the matching sticks are in the matching slots.

5. ben101

ben101 Thread Starter

OK, thanks, but how do you know, is it like that with ALL machines with different coloured slots.

ummmm... surely it would still recognise the full 1gb of RAM. why would it only recognise 512mb of it, and then recognise the whole 1gb if i add another 1gb of RAM. i cant understand it, and also, surely it would say that in the manual type thing that came with the computer. Doesnt say anything about pairs of RAM.

Cheers for the quicky response.

6. Jones

Jones

It wouldn't recognize 1gb of RAM if the RAM is not compatible with your motherboard, or if the RAM speeds don't match. You can operate with 3 sticks, but it will not run in DDR mode.

You can find out what you have and what you need by running a program like PC Wizard:
    http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

It will tell you pretty much anything you'd ever want to know about your system, including info about your motherboard, and what RAM you currently have installed.

7. Jones

Jones

Exactly. I guarantee if you have 4 slots, and 2 different colors, then your board is a DDR board.

8. pugmug

pugmug Banned

RDRAM has to be installed in pairs not DDR and your computer takes DDR400, pc3200 DDR ram up to 4 gig. The diff. color slots are for dual channel mode

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Jones, you are confusing DDR with Dual Channel. DDR is a memory spec, its the type of RAM. Dual Channel is just a feature of the motherboard to allow you to double the memory bandwidth. You can run run an odd number of sticks but you just would get the benefit for the higher bandwidth that Dual Channel provides.

10. ben101

ben101 Thread Starter

ok triple6, so do u know anything about the problem im having.

11. pugmug

pugmug Banned

ben what speed ram did you buy?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ben101, you probably have a stick of memory that isn't compatible with your system. I'd return it for another brand. Also look at the memory thats currently in the system. See if it has memory chips on both sides of the stick or just one side, then buy RAM that matches that. I'd also get 2 sticks of 512MB or even 2 sticks of 256MB, that way you'd still have 1GB (or more of RAM) and get the added benefit of Dual Channel mode. And it should be PC3200/400Mhz.

13. Jones

Jones

I'm not confused about DDR, and apologize if my comments were misleading. I am aware that systems can run with 1,2,3, or 4 sticks of RAM. I may not have made it completely clear, but the point I was trying to make was that not every stick of DDR ram is 100% compatible with every DDR board.

As I mentioned in two of my posts, the speed of the RAM is important, and is probably the issue here.

14. ben101

ben101 Thread Starter

Yeh i bought 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin RAM to be exact. And the RAM that was already in my system had memory chips on one side whereas the new one has it on both sides.

Thanks for all your help, but buying two 512mb RAMs for instance is more expensive and doesnt leave room for future expansion if i ever need to update the computer again (probably wont need to but u never know what the future holds).

AND how do i know if the RAM i am purchasing has memory chips on one side, the pictures only allow u to see it from one angle.

And that PC wizard program is very nice, but doesnt tell me anythgin i dont kow.

Thanks...
    And

15. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Have you tried just the two 1 gig sticks in the slots that the two 256 sticks were in when you first opened the computer?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice