1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New 200 gig hradrive seen as 32 Gigs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twebstar, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twebstar

twebstar Thread Starter

i recent installed a 200 gig maxtor drive in my computer, Im running windows vista home premium, it only registers as a 32 gig drive, it asked me to format which i did, i've initialized it, i've installed the newest maxblast 5 program and made a boot disk thinking that would help, but it is still being seen as a 32 gig drive, i've also gone into disk management. i was running this harddrive in an old computer which was running XP pro and i had to install maxblast 4 which put something on the drive so it could be seen as a 200 gig drive in XP pro, but i'm not getting that option in vista, so I am at a loss as what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

disk managment is telling me that there is only 32 gigs un allocated, when i know for certain that 2 days ago it was 200, the new computer is using sata drives, but the old 200 gig maxtor is ata, if that makes any difference, ive tryed calling my distributor, and microsoft, but they want 80 bucks to talk to a tech... bull

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. twebstar

twebstar Thread Starter

checked the bios, its saying its a 33.5 gig drive... possibly the bios doesnt support 200 gigs? but the computer is BRAND NEW compaq presario pc

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Is the drive set to be autodetected or are the settings put in manually for the drive size? If auto, you better check the jumpers and see if a size-limiting jumper is in place.

Try some other jumper settings. Try cable-select if the cable has marks on it to show what drive goes where (faint usually).

5. twebstar

twebstar Thread Starter

checked bios, it IS set to auto detect... there were no jumpers on the drive as that is the setting for slave, so i put one on to change it to cable select, i rechecked bios when i restarted and now it doesnt show the size of the 200 gig drive, though in windows i still can see it is 32 gigs, should i try booting with the maxtor cd again now that ive set it to cs? ps i have master drive which is sata and it is a 120 gig drive the bios still displays the size of the master, but not the slave(200 gig maxtor)

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go ahead. Is that the one that has a size-setting option in it? Worth a try.

Why is it not set to Master?

7. twebstar

twebstar Thread Starter

the computer came with vista installed on the sata drive so that one came as the master, the 200 gig drive was slave in the old computer, so i figured i could just take it out and put it in the new computer... sadly mistaken, gonna reboot again and fool with maxblast some more

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should set that drive as master. It is only the "master" of that one cable that it is connected to, not the machine master. If there is only one drive on the cable, it is customarily set as the master.

9. twebstar

twebstar Thread Starter

ok so i switched the 200 gig drive to master, when i did and rebooted, drivers were updated but bios and windows still only see 33 gigs, the version of maxblast im using #5 doesnt allow me to change the size of drive, maxblast 4 does, but it doesnt work with vista

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried wiping the drive? Isn't there a DOS version of Maxblast?

There is a version on the bootable UBCD.

11. twebstar

twebstar Thread Starter

i've done quick wipes, and full wipes, so many times still 33 gigs but i'll check out this UBCD see if that helps, there is also an option in my bios that lets me do a SMART check, the quick check tells me that my drive is immenent to failure and that i should back up NOW, but if i do a full scan it tells me its all good to go

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the drive's parameters are on the side, you could also try entering them manually into BIOS instead of letting it autodetect. Make it see 200 (or thereabouts).

The bad SMART results are not good news. They can be wrong, and if the full scan says OK, I guess you can wait and see. But don't rely too much on it with important data.

13. Hughv

Hughv

As I recall, there is a utility on the Maxblast disk to remove the drive overlay software you installed to enable the old computer to see the full drive. Run this utility then format/partition in the usual way.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's a possibility I was considering. The disk wipe should have taken care of that, however.

A BIOS update might also help if the drive is considerably newer than the version of BIOS being used. Most BIOS updates improve detection of new drives.

15. twebstar

twebstar Thread Starter

well, i finally talked to an technician online at HP, i didnt get denied help like i did on the phone, and he said my hard drive has gone bad, i checked HP and they dont have any updates for my bios. I appretiate all the help, but i guess i have to buy a new hard drive, if you can think of anything else the may be the problem other than buy a new drive please let me know. Also as far as I can tell, i am unable to input the drive size manually, im not really sure how to turn off the auto detect in my bios. The only option i have when looking at the stats of my drive is the SMART check, everything else is written in grey lettering, which i am unable to access, and all there is is Drive capacity- which reads 33 gigs, and "ultra DMA-5" . But again i appretiate the time and effort guys, new hard drive is in the works i guess

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!