new 200gb HD not acting right

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Camlax38

I just bought a new maxtor 200gb SATA HD, This is the HD i plan on running my OS from, Got it all hooked up and primary HD in boot order and ran the windows install CD.

When I get to the Please format part it shows the available space as being 131,069. With windows installed
looking at properties the total size appears to be 127.76gbs
now as far as i know 1024 MBs=1GB so there should be 204,800. I understand that they short you a little bit but 73,731 is a big freakin difference 70 gigs.
Am I doing something wrong? SATA not properly installed or did i just get ripped off bad?

Camlax38

Not sure what you mean, My Mobo recognizes it as the correct HD and name in the bios, is that what you ment?

Camlax38

Windows XP, I just ran Maxtor CD that came with the HD for SATA and the CD also reads the drive as being 137 GB. Im fairly sure its a lousy drive, ive heard bad stories about maxtor HDs before but never thot they would ship a drive trying to short someone 70 gigs. CompUSA and Maxtor are going to get a ear from me tomorrow i think

What you want to do is make sure your motherboard supports 48 bit LBA , if not either a BIOS flash (a litllte risky) or live with out the last 70gig.
If the Mobo supports the 48bit LBA, then your problem is software limited through XP. The best way to circumvent this is to install the OS on a smaller partition, say 40 gig, then install XP service pack 1 which enables drives over 137 gigs on your system, then run the Maxtor utility to partition the rest of the drive.

maybe you just need to update BIOS to support lagre hard drives

crjdriver

Since it it sata, I doubt that it is a bios problem. If you are using an xp cd without at least sp1, then that is your problem. XP must have sp1 or later to see a drive larger than 127 gig. The same is true for win2k; it must have sp3 or later to use large hd.

Personally I would not want 200g as one large drive, why not create a partition of say
30G,
Install windows and all your applications, then once you have installed sp2 you will be able format the rest of the drive and save all your data to it.
If in the future you get a problem with windows and need to reformat this can be done safely without disturbing your data.

That won't matter if he's not using at least a sp1 xp cd. The Installation that allows you to partition the drives won't even recognize the drive without it.

Camlax38

When i installed windows i did partition off 15 gigs for windows and relevent files. My mobo is new i just put this system for a 2nd machine to have around together.
The mobo is Biostar Nf4 4X-A7

Now for those of you saying its a windows problem. Should i unpartition the leftover space, Update windows on the 15 gig partition and bam that 70 gigs will appear in the unpartition?

Also how do you tell if your board supports 48 bit LBA? And what the heck is that?

crjdriver

Your board should support lba 48 bit addressing. You need to either slipstream sp2 into your install cd OR install sp2 after the install. Once you have either sp1 or preferably sp2 installed, you will be able to access the full size of your disk.

Either way you MUST have at least sp1 installed to use the full size of the disk.

Note if you install the sp after you partition and format for your install, you will now have some unallocated space on the disk. You can use disk management to create a partition in the unallocated space.

Camlax38

yeah after doing some more research leaning towards it is a windows problem
Is there a way to change windows xp to see HDs larger than 137 gigs w/o downloading the service packs?

Deathblow said:
That won't matter if he's not using at least a sp1 xp cd. The Installation that allows you to partition the drives won't even recognize the drive without it.
Depends how old the XP disc is, latest editions come preloaded with SP2.

crjdriver

Camlax38 said:
yeah after doing some more research leaning towards it is a windows problem
Is there a way to change windows xp to see HDs larger than 137 gigs w/o downloading the service packs?
If you want setup to "See" the full size of the disk, you must use an install disk with at least sp1. Slipstreaming is quite easy using a third party app like nlite. It is a little more difficult to do from a cmd prompt.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts