1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new 256Gb HD only showing 31.5 Gb! :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tiera, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tiera

tiera Thread Starter

My bro bought me some new HD and it's suppose to be 256 GB but only 31.5 GB's showing up! My comp is a HP Pavillion Media Center 2002 120GB We don't know what's going wrong. First we put the cd in, installed the drivers and we never saw the hd under my computer and then he tried to boot the cd since he said that's what we were suppose to do and my comp just won't boot that cd. Anyways he moved something on the HD and it still didn't work but when I woke up the next morn I turned on my comp and went to my computer, there it was but it only had 31.5 GBs. So now we don't know why it won't give me the rest of my space. :(

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have service packs installed? Are you running Windows Media Center?

3. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Check in BIOS that your HD is not limited to 32 GB.
    Check Disk Management Console to see if the whole disk space is seen by OS. Maybe your HD is partitioned and the rest of the space is unallocated.

4. ~Candy~

Also, this just might apply:

The 65,536 Cylinder (31.5 GiB / 33.8 GB) Barrier

This barrier is relatively recent, and along with a couple of others began showing up during the spring and summer of 1999. Although this barrier is often referred to as the 32 GB barrier similar to the one immediately above, that description is a bit of a misnomer.

This particular barrier is caused by some versions of the Award BIOS not being able to handle drives having more than 65,535 cylinders. Most hard disk parameters use 16 heads and 63 sectors, which works out to a capacity of approximately 33.8 GB or 31.5 GiB. It is our understanding that on or about June of 1999, this problem had been corrected by Award. This is somewhat of an unusual barrier given that most, if not all, hard disks above 8 GB no longer use discrete geometry for access, instead Logical Block Addressing is used along with a flat sector number from 0 to one less than the number of sectors on the drive. No doubt this 65,536 cylinder problem must somehow be related to some older code that was being used, or a compatibility issue with older hard drives (or both). From everything we have been able to examine, this issue was limited to a few machines that relied upon old Award BIOS code that was subsequently corrected with an update.

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm

Also be sure he's using NTFS instead of FAT32.

5. tiera

tiera Thread Starter

Thanx 4 the replies. My bro says he's gonna try your ideas later because I guess he's busy right now. :(

6. tiera

tiera Thread Starter

My bro went into BIOS and the memory showed 31 gb on my 250 gb hard drive. How do I get it back to 250 gbs? The hd showed 250 gb in the BIOS berfore it was partitioned. At that point he couldn't see it in windows. But after he partitioned it it showed up in windows but only at 31 gbs

7. norton850

norton850

Really you had two problems. The first one we will have to get back to. What did your brother "move" on the HD? There are jumpers that will limit a HD to 32GB. Since you had a 120GB HD in there your BIOS shouldn't be the limiting factor.

8. tiera

tiera Thread Starter

He said he moved it from CS to Slave jumpers. The hard drive is hitachi if that means anything

9. norton850

norton850

Does both BIOS and Windows show it as 31.5GB or does BIOS show it as the correct size. What is the make and model of the HD?

10. ~Candy~

Try putting it back on CS.

11. tiera

tiera Thread Starter

It shows it at 31.5 and the make and model is Hitachi deskstar
    Also what is 15 head and 16 head, he saw it on the back of the hd

12. tiera

tiera Thread Starter

he's about to go and try it back on cs

13. tiera

tiera Thread Starter

he put it back on cs and it still shows 31 gb :confused: :( :(

14. ~Candy~

Are you SURE it actually showed up correctly before? :confused:

15. tiera

tiera Thread Starter

He said yes he's sure. It only showed up in BIOS at first though. Now its showing up in BIOS and windows as 31.5gb. I just don't get it. Technology sux

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice