1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New 500GB SATA disk not getting recognised by BIOS (old XP m

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aqg6, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I am replacing the disk on my old XP machine, and I bought a 500GB SATA 1 disk to apply on the board, an Asus K8V-X, AMD Sempron processor. I can't make the BIOS recognise the disk...

The power cable and data cable are plugged in but I don't know what to look for next. I don't even have an option to enable/disable components in the BIOS, it auto detects before opening itself, meaning the hard drive is never there.

It was supposed to be the only hard drive on the pc, so I'm unable to use Windows to solve anything since I have no OS installed...

Thank you for all your help and replies!

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Have you tried by placing your Windows XP in the optical drive and restart your computer to get into the installation process. Follow on screen instructions.
    or
    Same step as above but press the F12 button before the logo appears on screen. Follow on screen instructions.

3. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, yes I did try that but it doesn't let me proceed with the install because the SATA disk is not detected...

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What drive did you buy? Is it truely a SATA first gen drive? Does the hard drive have jumpers? If so find the manual and restrict the drive to SATA 1.5 Gbs mode. Older VIA chipsets have trouble supporting SATA 3 and 6 Gb/s drives.

5. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

Hello, thanks for the reply. It's a Western Digital Drive, you're right, it's not first gen, it says on the date May 2016.

It has jumpers, yes, there's a link for the jumper settings on the label indeed. So how do I go about restricting it to SATA 1.5 Gbs mode please?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

So just place it and connect the SATA data cable and power cable and I'm done? Thanks for the help, really happy I don't have to deal with an unusable drive!

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, and if it doesn't work then you have additional problems. The jumper will force the drive to only support first generation SATA specifications. VIA chipsets had a lot of trouble with SATA II drives, most of time without dumbing down the drive they wouldn't get detected so that's most likely your problem.

11. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

Thanks, I could always install this on my main pc, but I will try everything I can on this! Very grateful for the assistance!

12. lynx1021

lynx1021

Also to get a SATA drive to work installing XP you have to have a floppy disk with the SATA drivers on it drive and the SATA drivers when it says push F6 , Here is some info on a SATA drive on a XP machine: http://www.tim.id.au/blog/tims-f6-driver-guide/

13. cornemuse

cornemuse

It has been my experience that a lot of times, XP does not see a new hdd till I open 'Computer Management', then, (for me) the new hardware wizard pops up.
    I have only ever had troubles with hdd's larger than 1 tb.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The two above comments would apply IF the BIOS detected the drive, which it does NOT.

15. lynx1021

lynx1021

Sorry missed that. Looked at the manual,in the BIOS under Onboard Devices Configuration:
    OnChip SATA Boot ROM [Enabled]
    Allows you to enable or disable the onchip Serial ATA boot ROM.
    Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled]. Maybe affects detection.
    Do you have the latest bios? https://www.asus.com/supportonly/K8V-X/HelpDesk_BIOS/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice