1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Access 2000 question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by LLGWright, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLGWright

LLGWright Thread Starter

OK, I am relatively new to access.
    I have used it very briefy for the different annual conference, and could use some help formatting an event.
    This year we are adding On-Line registration, so I need to limit the choices, and hopefully eliminate errors from multiple users.

Is there a way to limit the event-types available for each line of the registration?

For example, the first screen is the attendde info, then when you click the registration button, is there a way to limit the choices for each line of the registration?

So, when I enter my first registration, it would be for the seminar itself, one day, the other day, or both days....
    Then the second line would offer me choices of the first session of the day, based on the choice I made in the first registration screen?

Does that make sense?

LLGWright:p

2. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Yes, this sort of thing is done with combo boxes (aka drop-down boxes) or list boxes, and either queries or value lists. The subject would be a little vast to explain in full detail here (you might start by searching Access online help for these two kinds of controls), but the essentials are:
    • You limit choices most often by building a table which contains the choices. If I want my user to be able to choose from Today, Tomorrow, and Next Week only, I build a small table (called a lookup table) which contains a field to include those values. I then set the row source of the combo or list box to reference that table. Access help, and many of the users of this forum, can explain more about how to do that.
    • Combo boxes and list boxes serve essentially the same function, with the differences being (1) combo boxes take up less space, and allow users to type data as well as look it up in the dropped down lists, and (2) list boxes do not allow for new entries to be added, while combo boxes can.
    • Before you start dropping combo boxes and list boxes into your forms left and right, you would probably do well to give some thought to the structure your underlying tables will take, and what sort of data you want to use. There are very good examples in the Northwind and Solutions example databases that ship with Access, and also this MS KnowledgeBase article gives a useful intro to this part of the design process. Access can be powerful, but its power is immediately diminished if you use it like Excel, or without some understanding of what a relational database manager is.

keep us posted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice