1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Acer L70, Driver Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DEFECTiON, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DEFECTiON

DEFECTiON Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    Currently keeping the lady awake by pulling my hair out! I'm not able to go to bed until I get issues like this resolved haha.

Today my new Acer Revo L70 arrived, all seemed dandy and I went ahead and installed Windows 7 without a hitch.

Now, I've got it installed, and as always the drivers weren't installed. It came with a driver disc, (it doesn't have an optical drive though, great help!) Thought I'd get the files from my PC and copy them over, no can do as it tells me it's not an Acer machine.

Now I'm stuck, I can't find out any way of finding out which drivers I need, I tried downloading a driver pack and letting it find out which one it needed but it doesn't seem to even bother looking at them.

Here's some info on the L70 (it's a very new machine, so new that they don't have L70 drivers up yet, useful!)
    http://www.ebuyer.com/395463-acer-revo-l70-nettop-pc-dt-smgek-006

I tried installing the RL70 network drivers to no avail also.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. DEFECTiON

DEFECTiON Thread Starter

Ugh, after about 2 hours of trying, and about 2 minutes of posting this up the ethernet driver found a mate within the pack and installed itself, internet is now working! :D

3. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted

4. DEFECTiON

DEFECTiON Thread Starter

Seems I've run into another little issue I've not had in the past.

Trying to get the "official" drivers for my stuff despite not knowing anything about what's inside.

For instance I want my audio drivers, when I tell Microsoft to update the drivers I'm just told that I've got the latest drivers for 'High Definition Audio' device. I want to be able to fully use the surround sound etc.

Am I just being an idiot here? Should my computer be able to detect what's inside automatically?

5. dai

dai

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No, just a little naive ...

It (or, at least the operating system) will--just as soon as you install the correct drivers. A driver is the small bit of software that "translates" between the device and the operating system. Without the driver there is little communication between OS and device. :)

A word of advice for the future ...

If you have a computer with a working operating system, even poorly working, and are going to re-install it or install a different one collect your drivers onto a CD or USB flash drive or another computer while you can still use the installed OS to help figure out what components there are.

7. Lance1

Lance1

In the UK the Aspire Revo L70 comes with Linpus Linux as the host OS. As the OP is from the UK I thought I would point that out.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That could certainly explain a lack of Windows drivers! :)

9. DEFECTiON

DEFECTiON Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys.

I purchased the system with no OS, when I got it it was just a DOS screen. I then installed Windows 7 via the USB method.

I am still baffled as to which sound card is in the system, Acer seems to deny existence of the machine at the moment and I've even downloaded the Acer Updater which couldn't help me at all.

Since the sound card has a 7.1 output it'd be really handy to be able to install the correct drivers for it, can anyone help me with how to go about this please?

10. DEFECTiON

DEFECTiON Thread Starter

Confusingly, that seems to refer to the RL70, which is actually different to the L70.

The L70 only came out this week, and the RL70 is causing me a whole host of problems when trying to find out things about my one!

Here's where I got it, and just about the only place that seems to list any info for it at the moment: http://www.ebuyer.com/395463-acer-r...gek-006?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

I don't think this machine came with Linux, just the FreeDOS.

11. dai

dai

12. DEFECTiON

DEFECTiON Thread Starter

Another driver pack happened to pick up a Realtek driver (seems right since the RL70 has a Realtek driver that wasn't compatible.

Now seems to work happily with my optical out and surround sound which is great.

FYI, it's 64-bit, Windows Update didn't pick up anything for me.

As for the site you recommended, I might be wrong but to me it looks a bit fishy, I can input absolutely ANY word and it'll say it's found the drivers for that device.

13. dai

dai

the link was to acer official drivers

Acer™ Drivers - Acer.Official-Drivers.com

glad you have it sorted

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Which is highly misleading if not downright fraudulent! In the US Acer's official drivers are on URLs beginning us.acer.com. In the UK the URLs probably begin uk.acer.com. The link you gave has nothing to do with the company named "Acer."

The link you gave is to what I term a "drivers site." Some of them are very useful for finding a driver (especially for an ancient orphaned device), some are just alternate ways to get the same drivers as from the manufacturer, and some are mostly just facades for delivering ads and malware.

15. BIGANDYT

BIGANDYT

Hi there, I also bought the revo l70 with freedos and have been having trouble installing an os.

I first tried mint linux which i got working, i had some trouble and could only get 3d graphics by installing the ati catalyst beta drivers 12.1 i think, i then had to run a script to rid myself of a beta logo in the bottom right. That gave me hd 1080p video capability, but for some reason i got sound distrotion on all videos, i think it was solvable but i just thought sod this i'll try windows 7.

This has also come with its troubles

It seems that in fact it is not a new l70 is is the rl70.

If you go here and enter your serial number

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

Mine auto detected that it was windows 7 then asked me whether it was 32 or 64 bit.

It then list all the drivers applicable for your system.

There are two links also one that page Need to know the hardware on your system to choose the right drivers?

That one told me the wireless lan was atheros,

The other is an acer updater, i think it may have been best to run that first as it doesnt find any driver updates but i guess that because ive installed the latest ones.

I have installed service pack 1 and all updates.

But im simply unable to install the enternet controller it sits in the device manager with a yellow exclamation mark.

I also get reasonably frequent BSOD's and firefox crashes all the time.

To be honest i wish i hadnt been a cheap skate in the first place and bought windows pre installed instead of buying it and trying to install myself.

I will post if i make any progress that may help you. Im going to try a fresh install now i know what drivers i need and i have that updater.

Cheers Andy

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice