1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Acer Laptop Very Slow Internet/Download Speeds. All othe

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drugstorecowboy, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drugstorecowboy

drugstorecowboy Thread Starter

I just purchased a new Laptop (Acer Aspire F 15 F5-571T-569T Signature Edition Laptop) from the Microsoft Store. Everything is fine except the Internet is very slow. Pages loading slowly. Took me like 20 minutes to download Chrome.

On Speedtest I get an verage of 5 Mbps download and 40 Mbps on upload. The upload speed is normal for my tablet and old laptop. The upload speed was at around 1.5 Mbps until I rebooted my router and right after I did that, the next test I did, the upload speed was normal.

I tried rebooting the router a few times after to see if the download speed would be normal, but it remains at around 5 Mbps.

I checked on Device Manager and my network adapter is - Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter

I have Verizon Fios in Brooklyn and my router is an Actiontech M1424WR

Windows says the drivers for the network adapter is up to date.

On my Dell Venue tablet I currently get about 52 Mbps Up and 40 Mbps Down.

When I check my WiFi status in the Control Panel it says Speed: 65 Mbps.

Something is throttling my download speeds, but I have no idea what to do. I am not too savvy w/ this sort of thing. It seems like it should be an easy fix, but I'm lost and could use some help.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I suspect the new computer is downloading all those Windows 10 updates in the background. Since you have little control over downloads in Windows 10, there isn't much you can do until the system is up to date.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Or you need the correct wireless driver. Try the one from the PC manufacturer's site.

4. drugstorecowboy

The Qualcomm site says they do not offer drivers to end users. Should I try somewhere else?

5. drugstorecowboy

The Acer site doesn't list the Qualcomm. Here is a screen cap of what drivers are available for download.

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Strange that Acer doesn't give the model for the two Atheros adapters. Try both drivers; the incorrect one(s) should not install. (I assume that the screen shot you show is for whatever OS you have.)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice