1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New AMD mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EasY_TargeT, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT Thread Starter

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

No such thing as a DDR2 AMD motherboard. I am using an Asus A8V Deluxe and it is very solid. Fairly cheap, I think I paid like $115 from newegg for it. The downfall is that it runs on a via chipset, but it is the K8T800 Pro chipset. I have had not one single issue from the board and I am OC'd 420 mhz from stock. Not bad at'all.

3. EasY_TargeT

well, then since there are none with DDR2 then that solves some problems.

4. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hello There,

Just some more advice from someone who builds new ones regularly. I would not purchase a 939 CPU unless I planned to go the PCI Express route for the video card. That is the wave of the future, so don't waste your time with the older AGP technology.

Oh, my latest build is a 3700+ San Diego chip from AMD with the A8N-sli Deluxe by ASUS. So far a great combination and a real pleasure to work with. Board cost me $168 USD. This baby burns in speed.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I would agree with Tumbleweed in most cases. My case was different. I had a new 6800GT that I wasn't going to waste so I bought the board I am using as well as the 3700+ SD.

There is a very good rumor floating around that ATI intends to release the R520 aka Fudo in AGP and PCIE versions. This thing is to be a monster with 32 pixel pipes and core speeds over 600 mhz. Also, fudo has broken the 10000 3Dmark05 barrier as a single card solution which is considerably better than the newest 7800GTX is doing.

Hmmm, do I buy a board? Maybe, it depends on benches and prices but do not allow a board to be the final deciding factor. AGP 8X has not reached it's full potential and there will be at least one future high end card released on the AGP platform.

I have a feeling that Nvidia will follow suit. Nvidia is using the fact that they released first to sell 7800GTX cards and nforce 4 motherboards. ATI will change their minds for them when the R520 is released. :D

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless you must have agp, I would go with an nforce 4 chipset. I just assembled two units this past week with soltek nf4 939 mb. I have been very impressed with this setup. I still have one setting on my desk now; no matter what I do it will not crash, lockup, etc [and I have really tried]

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Exactly. The reason I am saying "do not let the interface be the final deciding factor" is this. I have a feeling that the AGP version of the R520 is going to offset the price of a new motherboard, Face it, if you are one of the few that are going to want the AGP version you are going to be the one that pays for the bridge.

In other words, if you buy the AGP version you can expect to pay more. If it is less than the price diff than a new PCIE card and mobo then you may want to go AGP. If not, only a fool would go AGP.

It is cost to performance. I do not really sell my old stuff but you have to think about that also. Can you sell a used AGP R520 in 2 years? Not easily and not for what it will actually be worth.

8. EasY_TargeT

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

SLI boards can use one card. There will be a jumper or bios setting to enabel / disable dual cards.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/378582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice