1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New ASUS not booting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amarok1981, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amarok1981

amarok1981 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a 1 month old ASUS laptop (U46S) running windows 7 pro. It was working like a dream until a couple of days ago when I started up to be greeted with the "asustek easy flash utility" which told me all about what bios version I have. There was a progress bar which said "erasing" which worried me slightly. When it reached 100% another progress bar appeared saying "programming". When it reached 100% the system shut down. When I press the power button it will not even reach the BIOS stage now. I have already tried removing the battery and holding down the power button for a while before restarting. This worked once and then a few days later the whole thing happened again. This time nothing seems to be working with regards to fixing the issue. I really don't want to have to send it back to Asus since I bought it in the UK but I live in Italy. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I took a video of the whole thing the 2nd time it happened in case it helps,

Cheers

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You need to contact Asus for warranty service, you have a BIOS flash that went bad, they'll either walk you through a solution or request the laptop be sent in for repair or replacement.

3. ThePCguy95

ThePCguy95

You should be able to find the bios utility on their website, i believe it will make a usb tool to boot from on the laptop and update/replace the bios which might fix this issue.

If not, you may need to send it back, because I cant think of anything else to do.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Why on God's green earth would you flash a one month old laptop that was, in your words:

5. ThePCguy95

ThePCguy95

I don't think he was trying to flash it, but things happen. It may have been a fluke, or something he accidentally hit in the bios. But there is the chance it is broken somehow.

6. amarok1981

amarok1981 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I've contacted Asus to see what solutions they offer. Prunejuice, there is no way I was wanting to flash the BIOS of a brand new laptop. This flash utility started of its own accord. I didn't press a single key on startup. Very weird. I'll have a browse through the Asus website and see if I can get a utility on USB to help out.

7. managed

managed Allan

The Usb utility would be used to flash the Bios, I don't think you should try that yet. I would wait to see what Asus recommend.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1047115