1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Asus Zenbook has Windows 8--Looking for Antivirus software

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TheProfessor101, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheProfessor101

TheProfessor101 Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

Well, I finally upgraded to the Asus Zenbook Prime 32a! It's truly an astonishingly fast laptop.

I have a couple of questions though. What would you recommend for Antivirus software (free, ideally). It came loaded with McAfee, but now I'm being chiseled for money. All of the system info appears below.

Finally, at times I have difficulties streaming movies from Amazon's site. Is there any sort of clean-up or process I can run that will allow me to enjoy movies and TV shows without the interruption?

Thank you!,
    Brian

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3981 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, 1798 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 92639 MB, Free - 58327 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., UX31A
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

2. gurutech

gurutech

Avast, Avira, and AVG are all good (for the money) free AV products. I personally use AVG and rarely have a problem.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you uninstall McAfee also run the Removal Tool.

Many of us find the Windows 8 Firewall and the included Windows Defender (which is really Microsoft Security Essentials) adequate and convenient.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I agree with my good colleague TerryNet

and although it is all a matter of opinion, I personally do NOT like the so called Performance Boost now included with AVG products.
    In fact IMHO and I MUST STRESS it is ONLY MY OPINION I would not even consider allowing anything like that to be installed on Windows 8

From the AVG - free AV specs
    http://free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-download

"Keeps your PC running more smoothly
    A quick performance boost for your PC"

5. gurutech

gurutech

I just install the AV product. Custom install allows me to skip the installation of all the "extra stuff" that actually slows the PC down...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!