New at networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GenericTexan

Ok, my ISP said I had to buy NIC cards to link my two computers to a lan for the purpose of Fiber Optic Internet Connection. It does not require a modem, just a box put on the house by the PUD and and account through my ISP. So an electrician wired the house with Cat 5 so all these computers could connect to the hub and up link to the PUD box. The electrican checked all wiring, it was good. So now I tried to setup the home network. My generic 233 is setup with all the same protocols as my Compaq, but the compaq will not pinq on it's ip address of 192.168.0.1
I can see each computer in their own network neighborhood, but not on the same one. I can get the 233 to ping it's address. I set these up per directions from www.network-it-online.com/network_setup.htm I did not go past the Network setup instructions, because I could not get the Compaq to ping. I have been all over the internet trying to resolve this issue and get these two systems to talk to each other. Oh, the Compaq is running ME, and the 233 is running Win 98. I did try the wizard, before. And no go. So I system restored the Compaq to start the process fresh and here I am. Please help this newbie?

Do you have the following enabled for each computer
Are the green lites on the nic's lite(meaning they can see the other nic.)

Workgroup name exactly the same

file and print sharing enabled

tcp/ip settings

specify ip address 192.168.100.0 and 192.168.100.1
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway none
dns disabled.

Lastly did you select a drive and right click, select sharing, and enable sharing on the drive, one for each computer.

email from user

The lites on my NIC have never came on. But linksys says they are fine. Workgroup names are all the same, sharing is enabled. Not quite sure if TCP/IP setting are correct. I did and change the IP address. The Compaq still would not ping. The 233 with win98 can ping and I can view that computer in it's Network Neighborhood. I am really new at this, so maybe I am overlooking something simple.

Here is another guide on lan's and networking, talks about tcp/ip settings
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/lan/default.asp

You may want to install netbeui protocol along with tcp/ip. It helps small lans sometimes. You can install if from the same wizard you install tcp/ip from

You say you have Me on one of the computers. Try installing the NetBEUI Protocol on both computers and use the Me network troubleshooter to get the low-down on the NetBEUI search capabilities. It worked for me. Once they see each other you can remove NetBEUI. The password screen is a pain.

GenericTexan

I read all the links suggested. And tried all the advice. Very good links, gave me great information. I realized my IP settings were all wacky. So I reset all settings and added TCP/IP, NetBEUI, and IPX/SPX. But none of the protocols would bind. So I removed Winsock and Winsock2 I believe. Then added the protocols one by one. The Compaq kept it's IP address and would ping itself. Though the computers still could not see each other. Finally I got really frustrated and tried something very crazy. I took both my systems down to the basement (where my hub is) and connected the pre-made cords (that came with my network kit ) directly from the NIC cards to the Hub. And wala! My network does work, my electrician didn't. So it goes to show you, always check and re-heck cords, cards, and hubs. Usually it's not the software, just us trusting people who thought the wiring was set up properly. Thank you all, for all the good advice and learning materials you sent me.
:p

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online