New at PC lingo, please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bo0sheke

I'm new at PC lingo, and recently got a hand-me-down PC from my parents, what I do know
P4 2.4ghz
512mb
40ghz
and that it's a HP

The video card that was put in it, is below par. :(
When I go to play games with friends on the net, I have problems. My new game Half Life 2 has major problems with it. Even the Halo PC looks shabby, the "specular" option won't even highlight. this card is a:
3DForce2 MX-64DDR-TV AGP 2x/4x

WHICH brings me to my problem.
I want to buy a new card that will make my games look better, and the "specular" setting to be changeable. I don't know what type of Motherboard I have, and I dont know how to find out.

I've googled around and found a site telling me that I can't put a 8x card in a 4x slot w/out messing up the PC, unless it has the same voltage.

So, if some 1 can tell me if I can have a 8x card in this PC that would be great, and if i need to give out info on the Motherboard to do that, please tell me how i can find the information :confused:

Thanks for the help in advance ;)

bo0sheke

WOW! after a while of googling, I found this http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11414_na/11414_na.HTML

THANK YOU!

this is what it tells me

Intel Extreme Graphics
(Integrated with Intel 845G chipset)
Bus Type Integrated
AGP Interface Supports a single 1.5v Accelerated Graphics Port Interface, Specification 2.0 compliant device
Supports 1x/2x/4x data transfers and 2x/4x fast writes
32-deep AGP request queue
AGP signals multiplexed with two DVO ports
Supports ADD (AGP Digital Display) cards

With this info, could I buy a 8x card? or 4x/8x card?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
You'd want an AGP 8X card. Although your slot is only AGP 4X, AGP 8X is fully backward compatible with AGP 4X and thats what the new video cards use(that or PCI-Express which you system does not have).

Now it comes down on how huch you want to spend?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Indeed a Radeon 9800 Pro would fit into your budget, system, and requirements quite well. Anything less would be a waste of money with the games you intend to play.

bo0sheke

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102524 ??

also this is what it said for my PC

After-Market OptionsCommunications Modems
Lucent V.90 56K PCI Win Modem 239137-001
Compaq USB 56K Fax Modem 228141-001
NVIDIA GeForce MX400 32-MB SDRAM AGP 227003-B21

Supports a single 1.5v Accelerated Graphics Port Interface, Specification 2.0 compliant device
Supports 1x/2x/4x data transfers and 2x/4x fast writes
32-deep AGP request queue
AGP signals multiplexed with two DVO ports
Supports ADD (AGP Digital Display) cards

Could i still get a 9800? this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102524

That is a 9800SE, not a pro. The 9800 pro is a much better version. Some 9800SE cards can be modded to 9800 pro but for $17 more, get the pro. The guess work is gone from it.

Yes, a 9800 will work. You have a 1.5 volt AGP slot, although it is a 4x slot the pro would work fine. I'd say you would get 95% of what the card is capable of running it at 4x.

bo0sheke

sweet... Thanks for the input! Now I just have to save a bit more and I'll be ready to buy :D

As for instaling it, i'll be fine, Have a few friends that are great with computers :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online